Comparing Universities - MechEng at Bristol and Southampton Watch

wattm056
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm stuck between Bristol and Southampton for mechanical engineering for my insurance
I like Bristol as I live the city but I've heard bad things about their organisation and their student satisfaction rates seem alarmingly low. does anyone know why that might be?
I like Southampton is it's slightly closer to home and in the first year you get opportunities such as dissaembling and reassembling engines and building 3D printers. I like the practical side of this. but I don't know much about the uni.
if you could share your experience of either uni that would be amazing
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wattm056)
I'm stuck between Bristol and Southampton for mechanical engineering for my insurance
I like Bristol as I live the city but I've heard bad things about their organisation and their student satisfaction rates seem alarmingly low. does anyone know why that might be?
I like Southampton is it's slightly closer to home and in the first year you get opportunities such as dissaembling and reassembling engines and building 3D printers. I like the practical side of this. but I don't know much about the uni.
I've moved this thread so it appears in both University of Bristol and University of Southampton

It does sound like you're leaning more towards Soton.
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wattm056)
:hello: Hi there! I'm a current 2nd year chemistry student at the University of Southampton
Feel free to shoot any questions right at me but do first take a look around the forum at the link above, it will probably answer most of your questions already.
I would definitely point out that optional modules are both really awesome and flexible at the Uni, you can actually take them in pretty much any discipline plus if you want to learn a language you can do free courses on Wednesday afternoons

If you're local you'll probably know plenty about Southampton. The Uni is really nice, has plenty of cool facilities on campus like a student-run cinema, a few shops, the Library, a concert hall and a theatre as well as a Health Centre and restaurants/cafes :yy:
There's even a bookshop/a few banks.a post office and a costa/pret-a-manger on the outskirts of the campus :borat:

Plenty of societies you can look at the list on the SU website susu.org

Hope this helps,
Cheese
wattm056
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
:hello: Hi there! I'm a current 2nd year chemistry student at the University of Southampton
Feel free to shoot any questions right at me but do first take a look around the forum at the link above, it will probably answer most of your questions already.
I would definitely point out that optional modules are both really awesome and flexible at the Uni, you can actually take them in pretty much any discipline plus if you want to learn a language you can do free courses on Wednesday afternoons

If you're local you'll probably know plenty about Southampton. The Uni is really nice, has plenty of cool facilities on campus like a student-run cinema, a few shops, the Library, a concert hall and a theatre as well as a Health Centre and restaurants/cafes :yy:
There's even a bookshop/a few banks.a post office and a costa/pret-a-manger on the outskirts of the campus :borat:

Plenty of societies you can look at the list on the SU website susu.org

Hope this helps,
Cheese
thank you so much for this. my first question is do most if any of the lectures get recorded? it's not something I'm hoping to depend on but it's definitely something that I can imagine being useful. secondly what laptop would you recommend? a 2in1 like the surface pro or a traditional laptop? what kind of specs(ie does it need to be powerful, minimum battery life?. I know it's largely personal preference but do most people type or write notes and which would you recommend?
finally, are there any down sides to the uni? in your opinion of course?
many thanks x
nibbles360
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
hey! I'm doing a MSc in Advanced mech at soton
Generally most lectures are recorded but depends on the lecturer. The uni is trying to encourage all lecturers to record their lectures but obviously its not possible to force them to and sometimes they forget or the equipment malfunctions.

I'd suggest a laptop that is light enough to carry around, a surface pro is great but also quite pricey. If you have the money then its a good option.
Its around an even split between the people who write notes and those who type. I personally don't like to carry my laptop around every day so I write mine out, it's just my personal preference as it helps me remember it better anyway.

Minimum battery life around 6 hours probably? there are computers available to students on campus anyway, with the all the engineering software you may need to use. Laptop doesn't have to be top of the line, just get the best you can afford.
My laptop's 5 years old so fairly dated in terms of specs now, still runs the programmes, albeit a bit slow
wattm056
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by nibbles360)
hey! I'm doing a MSc in Advanced mech at soton
Generally most lectures are recorded but depends on the lecturer. The uni is trying to encourage all lecturers to record their lectures but obviously its not possible to force them to and sometimes they forget or the equipment malfunctions.

I'd suggest a laptop that is light enough to carry around, a surface pro is great but also quite pricey. If you have the money then its a good option.
Its around an even split between the people who write notes and those who type. I personally don't like to carry my laptop around every day so I write mine out, it's just my personal preference as it helps me remember it better anyway.

Minimum battery life around 6 hours probably? there are computers available to students on campus anyway, with the all the engineering software you may need to use. Laptop doesn't have to be top of the line, just get the best you can afford.
My laptop's 5 years old so fairly dated in terms of specs now, still runs the programmes, albeit a bit slow
Thank you this was really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (167)
61.4%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.04%
No- I want it (74)
27.21%
No- I don't want it (20)
7.35%

Watched Threads