A Level Options Watch

Bob1939294
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am planning on definitely taking maths and chemistry for a level but I'm not sure whether I should take physics or economics and whether to do a 4th subject of further maths.

I dont really know what career I want to do but it will either be something to do with finance/economics or engineering. Which will open up more paths and is likely to still be a well paid job in the future.
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For your career path I think you should definetely take Further maths, it'll be very useful.
Simbasoul
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you want to keep options open for engineering, take Maths/Chen and physics - maths and Phys are usually a requirement for most engineering - chemistry will cover you for chemical engineering. Economics is ironically not needed at A level, should you wish to study it at Degree - although a lot of people do! Further maths is only really accepted as a 4 th A level - and won’t always be counted alongside maths - most universities offers are on 3 A levels, not 4 but if you offer 4, their offer will be on 4, so you sort of lose out. Only take 4 if you think you will get good grades in all of them - better to do really well in 3 than poorly in 4.
Nadim Chowdhury
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm doing maths and economics, and I'd suggest if you're genuinely interested in these subjects or you are good at it, definitely do it. If not, then remember you will get a* if you try. You must try, never be complacent, as my teachers say. I'm sorry I can't say anything about physics and chemistry, don't do them, but I wish you all the best. By the way, if you're doing gcse, start revising now! (Made that mistake, left it till april). You can think about choices in summer, although it's good to see you planning early!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.72%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.51%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.19%
No, I chose not to (176)
28.95%