The Student Room Group

Bills in student houses at uni?

Myself and 4 others have found a 5 bed house to rent for 2nd year. Its 420 a month each, and we can chose whether to include bills or not. With bills inclusive it will be 475 per month. I'm not sure what the average price of bills usually are, so if anyone could advise on whether going bills inclusive or not is a better option would be great.
Thanks
Bills included is much easier, you don’t have the grief of sorting out payments and setting everything up, so I would always advise going for bills included for ease :smile:
Original post by araaaaa234
Myself and 4 others have found a 5 bed house to rent for 2nd year. Its 420 a month each, and we can chose whether to include bills or not. With bills inclusive it will be 475 per month. I'm not sure what the average price of bills usually are, so if anyone could advise on whether going bills inclusive or not is a better option would be great.
Thanks

Hey,

Its hard to give you price because companies differ so much. But you could always check out companies like split the bills or Glide and see if they offer anything cheaper.

Hope this helps,
Charlotte
Reply 3
I would say £55 / person is a lot. I reckon the monthly energy usage of a large house will be well under £200. The landlord is going to want to cover the reckless usage of energy all inclusive is likely to entail and still make a profit. However there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of inclusive as it avoids typical student house angst about who's using more than their fair share and not paying their bills on time. I would also consider how well you know and trust your housemates.
it's fairly high but imo it's better to take bills included and then there's no arguments about people paying or how warm the heating is etc
Reply 5
475 just seems a little too expensive for us, so we're gonna try another house which is 425 with bills instead. Thanks for all the responses! Helped out immensely :smile:
Sounds like a sensible solution - if you can find a reasonable house at a reasonable price with bills included then it is always worth paying the small bit extra (that you probably pay for the inclusive bills) as the hassle of trying to get everybody to cough up - and the fact that one person has to be the named person on each of the bills (meaning that person is technically liable) - is just miserable. Not to mention that when you pay bills someone always wants the heating on full and walks around in a t-shirt or leaves all the lights on or something equally annoying!!
Reply 7
Original post by araaaaa234
Thanks

Hi there araaaaa234, whatever you do please AVOID using bill splitting intermediaries like Glide and Split The Bill.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Peter O
Hi there araaaaa234, whatever you do please AVOID bill splitting intermediaries like Glide and Split The Bill.

Having used Glide for a couple of years while I was at uni, it's absolutely fine and really saves on the hassle and risk of paying the bills yourself. While they take their own cut it's still pretty small, and unless you're running a weed farm it's likely that you'll get a good 1.5-2 months worth of payments refunded at the end. It's also a more regular payment that you can rely on and plan for, whereas your bills will vary otherwise and you will likely find yourself with a big bill after winter.

It might be advantageous to pay your own bills if you've already lived together for a couple of years and are an organised bunch, but otherwise you're probably not saving enough to make the disadvantages worth it.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Having used Glide for a couple of years while I was at uni, it's absolutely fine and really saves on the hassle and risk of paying the bills yourself. While they take their own cut it's still pretty small, and unless you're running a weed farm it's likely that you'll get a good 1.5-2 months worth of payments refunded at the end. It's also a more regular payment that you can rely on and plan for, whereas your bills will vary otherwise and you will likely find yourself with a big bill after winter.

It might be advantageous to pay your own bills if you've already lived together for a couple of years and are an organised bunch, but otherwise you're probably not saving enough to make the disadvantages worth it.

I used Glide last year and just to add another perspective, we had an awful experience with them - we gave regular meter checks, were very conservative with our heat and water etc but at the end of the year they massively hiked up their prices and we had to pay extra. We did contact them but essentially decided we couldn’t be bothered to fight the company so just paid up. They also tried to claim we didn’t send back the internet hub and get us to pay but we did manage to solve that one.

I know some people who have had good experiences with Glide so I’m not trying to say never use them, I would just be very wary as I personally would not recommend them
off my experience.
Reply 10

Hi there Helloworld_95,
Unfortunately, a lot of students fail to pick up on the fact that 'convenience' comes at a very steep price.
Thanks to a lack of pricing transparency, many students have found themselves locked into a 9 or 12 month fixed term contract before they realise just how expensive "white label" suppliers like Glide and Split the Bills are.
I have done a full costing of Glide versus the open market for gas and electricity for a 4-person student house in Bath.
The difference in cost is absolutely astonishing - over a 12-month contract term, with Glide you will be overpaying by more than £1,000 compared with the best dual fuel fixed deal that's currently available on the open market. To see my calculations go to Trustpilot, search for Glide then look for 'Peter O' (BTW my review was posted on 01 February 2019).
Reply 11
Unfortunately, a lot of students fail to pick up on the fact that 'convenience' comes at a very steep price.
Thanks to a lack of pricing transparency, many students have found themselves locked into a 9 or 12 month fixed term contract before they realise just how expensive "white label" suppliers like Glide and Split the Bills are.
I have done a full costing of Glide versus the open market for gas and electricity for a 4-person student house in Bath.
The difference in cost is absolutely astonishing - over a 12-month contract term, with Glide you will be overpaying by more than £1,000 compared with the best dual fuel fixed deal that's currently available on the open market. To see my calculations go to Trustpilot, search for Glide then look for 'Peter O' (BTW my review was posted on 01 February 2019).

Dear Helloworld_95,

Can you confirm please if / when my post (above) will be approved by the TSR moderating team?
My post has been held in limbo unpublished for over a week now.
I have no hidden agendas. All I want to do is to help other students understand the true cost of Glide.
I have done some useful calculations. These are posted on a Glide Trustpilot review.
I notice you are on the moderating team.
If the Trustpilot link bothers TSR, can I post these figures on a new thread?
Just say so if this is a problem as I don't want to waste anyone's time, least of all my own.
(edited 5 years ago)
I think @Peter O had put a link to Trustpilot - I may be wrong but I don't think external links are usually accepted so maybe that is why it is in moderation (removed)?
Reply 13
Hi Acsel,

The original link was to my review of Glide Utilities on Trustpilot. My review included detailed costings of Glide's energy tariffs versus the fixed tariffs for gas and electricity on the open retail market (as of February 2019). As Glide was so unbelievably expensive I thought that other students should see these figures.

BTW, according to the TSR Terms and Conditions (Go to TSR Support > FAQs and help) posting links on the TRS forum is allowed so long as the links are "useful" and relevant to the post and are not endorsements for products, services, jobs, student flats, campaigns etc.

My link conforms to the TSR guidelines and so I will repost it here:
https://uk.trustpilot.com/reviews/5c542f5397afa10ac0862f06

Many thanks Acsel for confirming all is sorted now!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending