Placements are they worth it Watch

JDavid881
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm currently studying a degree that isn't very common across the country, but I'm struggling to find a placement that suits the field of work I want to go into. However, there are placements in the IT sector, but this isn't the best option for me. I was thinking of finishing my Bachelor's degree and then moving on to a master's. Any opinions on this?
JordyJRT
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What is the degree? Also have you asked career advisers and tutors at your uni, surely they’ll be able to put you in touch with places with more relevant placement
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Generally speaking, the less experience (both industry relevant and work in general) you have, the more beneficial a placement will be. However there's no real downsides to doing a placement, as the experience on your CV is unlikely to be a bad thing.

Your placement doesn't absolutely have to suit the exact field you want to go into. In theory, since you're still studying a degre you should struggle to find relevant placements. If the first two years of uni were enough to prepare you for an industry job, there'd be no reason to do the third. A placement is unlikely to mimic a graduate job because you technically are not qualified.
JDavid881
Rep:
?
(Original post by JordyJRT)
What is the degree? Also have you asked career advisers and tutors at your uni, surely they’ll be able to put you in touch with places with more relevant placement
Digital Forensics and yeah, however, placements that are really good are far away and in a place where I wouldn't be able to afford to live, as the majority of the placements are paid minimum wage. This is what I'm struggling in finding, as the placements around me currently arent in relation to my degree and career choices.
JDavid881
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Generally speaking, the less experience (both industry relevant and work in general) you have, the more beneficial a placement will be. However there's no real downsides to doing a placement, as the experience on your CV is unlikely to be a bad thing.

Your placement doesn't absolutely have to suit the exact field you want to go into. In theory, since you're still studying a degre you should struggle to find relevant placements. If the first two years of uni were enough to prepare you for an industry job, there'd be no reason to do the third. A placement is unlikely to mimic a graduate job because you technically are not qualified.
Okay thank you
LPauling
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JDavid881)
I'm currently studying a degree that isn't very common across the country, but I'm struggling to find a placement that suits the field of work I want to go into. However, there are placements in the IT sector, but this isn't the best option for me. I was thinking of finishing my Bachelor's degree and then moving on to a master's. Any opinions on this?
I would say a placement is always helpful as it gives you more to talk about at future interviews
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay thank you
I'll also throw it out there that I'm a student on Cyber Security and Forensic Computing myself, currently on placement. Feel free to PM me if you've got any specific questions, I may be able to point you towards a few relevant placement options.
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yes
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LPauling
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Digital Forensics and yeah, however, placements that are really good are far away and in a place where I wouldn't be able to afford to live, as the majority of the placements are paid minimum wage. This is what I'm struggling in finding, as the placements around me currently arent in relation to my degree and career choices.
May be worth getting a less relevant one for now
JDavid881
Rep:
?
(Original post by LPauling)
May be worth getting a less relevant one for now
I've completed work experience in the field of study over the days and months I've had off from uni to build my CV and Ive gone through the interview process an, but going into something irrelevant isn't something that is what I want to do. I want to use my year away to find something I like and see if its for me rather than going into something that I dont seem to pursue
LPauling
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've completed work experience in the field of study over the days and months I've had off from uni to build my CV and Ive gone through the interview process an, but going into something irrelevant isn't something that is what I want to do. I want to use my year away to find something I like and see if its for me rather than going into something that I dont seem to pursue
Not irrelevant just less relevant for example a digital consulting firm or a bank fraud department. Think outside the box for things that are relevant just not in the obvious way
JDavid881
Rep:
?
(Original post by LPauling)
Not irrelevant just less relevant for example a digital consulting firm or a bank fraud department. Think outside the box for things that are relevant just not in the obvious way
Thank you, currently there arnt any in my region, Ive contacted a few companies regarding digital consulting, but the majority don't take undergrad placements.
Thank you though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (4)
4%
No (96)
96%

Watched Threads