The Student Room Group

Placements are they worth it

I'm currently studying a degree that isn't very common across the country, but I'm struggling to find a placement that suits the field of work I want to go into. However, there are placements in the IT sector, but this isn't the best option for me. I was thinking of finishing my Bachelor's degree and then moving on to a master's. Any opinions on this?
What is the degree? Also have you asked career advisers and tutors at your uni, surely they’ll be able to put you in touch with places with more relevant placement
Reply 2
Original post by JordyJRT
What is the degree? Also have you asked career advisers and tutors at your uni, surely they’ll be able to put you in touch with places with more relevant placement

Digital Forensics and yeah, however, placements that are really good are far away and in a place where I wouldn't be able to afford to live, as the majority of the placements are paid minimum wage. This is what I'm struggling in finding, as the placements around me currently arent in relation to my degree and career choices.
Reply 3
Okay thank you
Original post by JDavid881
I'm currently studying a degree that isn't very common across the country, but I'm struggling to find a placement that suits the field of work I want to go into. However, there are placements in the IT sector, but this isn't the best option for me. I was thinking of finishing my Bachelor's degree and then moving on to a master's. Any opinions on this?

I would say a placement is always helpful as it gives you more to talk about at future interviews
yes
Digital Forensics and yeah, however, placements that are really good are far away and in a place where I wouldn't be able to afford to live, as the majority of the placements are paid minimum wage. This is what I'm struggling in finding, as the placements around me currently arent in relation to my degree and career choices.

May be worth getting a less relevant one for now
Reply 7
Original post by LPauling
May be worth getting a less relevant one for now

I've completed work experience in the field of study over the days and months I've had off from uni to build my CV and Ive gone through the interview process an, but going into something irrelevant isn't something that is what I want to do. I want to use my year away to find something I like and see if its for me rather than going into something that I dont seem to pursue
I've completed work experience in the field of study over the days and months I've had off from uni to build my CV and Ive gone through the interview process an, but going into something irrelevant isn't something that is what I want to do. I want to use my year away to find something I like and see if its for me rather than going into something that I dont seem to pursue

Not irrelevant just less relevant for example a digital consulting firm or a bank fraud department. Think outside the box for things that are relevant just not in the obvious way
Reply 9
Original post by LPauling
Not irrelevant just less relevant for example a digital consulting firm or a bank fraud department. Think outside the box for things that are relevant just not in the obvious way

Thank you, currently there arnt any in my region, Ive contacted a few companies regarding digital consulting, but the majority don't take undergrad placements.
Thank you though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending