MeredithR18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently in year 9 and considering doing a Japanese GCSE. I have very little background knowledge on Japanese but do have a native Japanese friend and was wondering the best ways to learn the language and prepare for GCSE's. Any help or information about the GCSE would be much appreciated)
lcdnoisesystem
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
weeb shite
_pr3tzl_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MeredithR18)
I'm currently in year 9 and considering doing a Japanese GCSE. I have very little background knowledge on Japanese but do have a native Japanese friend and was wondering the best ways to learn the language and prepare for GCSE's. Any help or information about the GCSE would be much appreciated)
It would pretty much be the same as any other language learning process. Maybe get ahead on learning the written language e.g grammar, hiragana/katakana/kanji as they will help you get a grip of the language. Consolidate your grammar before learning vocabulary to make the process so much easier. (I do French but I briefly joined the school Japanese club and know how to say "hello, my name" is xD)
hcaushi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My question is, for a language like Japanese which can take years to learn properly, would you be able to get to a GCSE standard in three years? Actually, I would think it is possible, but will you be able to do it? Only you will be able to answer that.

The other question is why do you want to do the GCSE? If you want to learn to actually speak the language, by all means, learn it over the next few years - there's nothing stopping you from choosing in Year 11! And besides, Japanese is a fun (if really weird) language to learn!

(This being said by someone who intends to take Japanese as a university extracurricular and started learning a month ago )
XKangaotiCX
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MeredithR18)
I'd say firstly, learning all the hiragana and katakana is a MUST if you want to do higher japanese gcse. Then learn grammar structures (eg in my opinion, とおもいます) and learn some kanji for extra credit. Best websites for me is quizlet and memrise (although you may need to input your own words into it). My japanese teacher says the most important thing to learn (aside from hiragana&katakana) is as follows:
-verbs
-adjectives
-connectives
-vocabulary for each topic
If you want, I could send you my revision resources so you can check out some of the stuff.
Good luck. Japanese is a really great gcse to learn, not many people know it and you can watch all the anime you want without using the dubbed version
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was thinking about learning a less common language as well, but the grade boundaries seem very high because they’re mainly taken by native speakers.
mikela
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hope i'm not too late to the thread i did japanese gcse in summer '17, is there anything you'd like to know?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise