Dropped out of university and I am lost. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I recently started university in 2017 but decided to drop out because I became extremely unhappy. I had no motivation what so ever for the course and just began this downward spiral of not caring. I decided to drop out because I didn't want to keep wasting money and also for my health. However since this, I have become lost with my direction in life. I have suddenly hit a wall where I have no idea where to go next or what to do with my life, I have no dreams or ambitions, all I want is to be passionate about something and be the best at something but I feel like nothing interests me at all. Any advice?
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
get a job
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
get a job
This is clearly not the advice I am looking for. I have be interviewing for jobs to support myself in the short term as I don't plan on doing nothing. I am talking about my career and life here however. Please take this seriously.
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is clearly not the advice I am looking for. I have be interviewing for jobs to support myself in the short term as I don't plan on doing nothing. I am talking about my career and life here however. Please take this seriously.
Did you not think of another to follow before dropping out ?
most people have a plan decided on before dropping out
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Having a plan before dropping out is irrelevant if you are unhappy with your course, no point in doing it otherwise.
nabilahhh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you enjoy doing?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CarlosRosa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Obviously that wasn't the right course for you. What are you passionate about? That's a question that only you can answer, and when you find out motivation will come. My advise is get a job that can pay the bills while working towards your goal.
Last edited by CarlosRosa; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
op:
> asks for advice
> gets advice
> MUH FEEEELZ
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most people would be lucky to get a job in a career they’re passionate about. The vast majority are just doing a job that helps them get by, so I think you are having a sort of early mid-life crisis where you realise that life is an endless cycle of working at a job you probably dislike for people who probably don’t care about you to achieve goals you don’t particularly care for until you retire.

Once you’ve accepted that this is a likely reality, and come to terms with it then life becomes a little more bearable.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
OxFossil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi I recently started university in 2017 but decided to drop out because I became extremely unhappy. I had no motivation what so ever for the course and just began this downward spiral of not caring. I decided to drop out because I didn't want to keep wasting money and also for my health. However since this, I have become lost with my direction in life. I have suddenly hit a wall where I have no idea where to go next or what to do with my life, I have no dreams or ambitions, all I want is to be passionate about something and be the best at something but I feel like nothing interests me at all. Any advice?
You may find that it is difficult to develop an interest in anything that you only observe from a distance. Once you get involved, you might discover a pride in doing a good job, start creating goals for yourself and plans for the future. Assuming you have no spontaneous impulse towards a particular area, why not start by volunteering to do something that will do some good for others - help out with a homelessness project, an animal shelter, a nature reserve, helping people gain literacy skills or something? Your local volunteer bureau will be able to suggest any number of suitable projects.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They have a point. If you have no dreams or ambition of your own there's not a lot people can say that isn't pretty much random. In the absence of any direction I'd throw myself into whatever weird jobs came my way and see what was out there, I think I spent a good part of my twenties really just trying random stuff to keep the bills paid.
Anonymous #1
No I did not. Knowing I was doing a course I hated and had become extremely depressed was enough of a reason for me. There is no point doing a degree in a subject if you don't enjoy it, especially when you're paying for it.
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by random_matt)
Having a plan before dropping out is irrelevant if you are unhappy with your course, no point in doing it otherwise.
i meant in that time space when considering to drop out until you actually drop out.

You know weighing out your other options for when you are thinking of dropping out
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No I did not. Knowing I was doing a course I hated and had become extremely depressed was enough of a reason for me. There is no point doing a degree in a subject if you don't enjoy it, especially when you're paying for it.
when you were considering dropping out , did you not way out any alternatives to go through with

(also maybe talk to the other people on this thread instead of just me)
carl fringos!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is exactly the situation I was in I was studying at Bristol uni dropped out and then the next year started at warwick on a different course. My reasons were the exact same as yours. I feel that doing a degree at least puts off working for a while! But if you know that uni is not for you I would really recommend l9oking at some apprentiships and to start earning. While it may not be what you want to do and you may not enjoy it once you have it you will be earning and you can start to build your life around that. All the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
13.1%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.83%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.77%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.27%
No (282)
71.03%

Watched Threads