Failed GCSE maths 3 times doing the 4th... Watch

NovaChro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I will be doing GCSE maths the fourth time in my sixth form, the reason I failed it to be honest with you is that I never revised that much, but I am set on passing this summer.

I had a chat with my teacher and he said to me that he can arrange a tutor for me, I guess that will work out, other than that what can I do to make sure I pass this summer, because I have seen that without maths GCSE I can't get a good job e.g. in the media sector

My option for the university will be goldsmith; media and communication foundation year, which requires me to get a distinction in ICT and a grade C in media A2, it doesn't specify any GCSE grade requirements so I should be fine.

Any advice will be really helpful, i just feel scared and kinda depressed
jmaeh96
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I failed GCSE math three times before I finally passed with a C. I too didn’t study much for my exams when it came to Math but in my final year at school I had an amazing teacher and great support. I actually dropped P.E so I could do extra math in the school library with a tutor and was joined by a few others who were in the same boat as me. You just need to put everything you have into revising for math. Study the parts you struggle with and practise as often as you can. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Maybe ask your teacher for some mock exam papers? I was given plenty of those to complete and hand back in which he graded for me, and if I got some wrong he’d sit me down and go though then with me.

I hope you do amazing in your exams this summer and I’m sure if you practise and revise for your math exam you’ll smash it 🙂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
NovaChro
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the advice, maths is like a living cycle of hell, but to end it I must pass.
Goldsmiths, University of London
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maths and English GCSEs are pretty important over the longterm, as you have said, but for entry into Media and Communications we will be looking at your A levels first.

I can see that you have an A2 in Media, which is good, but given that this is the subject you want to study at university, I recommend improving on it. An A2 in Media of at least a grade B will really enhance your chances.

The foundation year in media doesn't have any formal entry requirements, but nor is it simply a replacement for A levels or other level 3 qualifications. We would also be looking at applicants who are coming from the world of work or are particularly engaged with the subject.

Last of all, I wouldn't panic. The most important thing is that you're ready. A lot of jobs are meritocratic in that they will be looking at your qualifications and experience, not that it took you a year or two more to get them. There plenty of options into Media academically too, such as our foundation year. There are also good Access to HE courses at colleges that give good second chances if you want to go to university, but don't yet have the grades to do it.

If you have any queries about this, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

(Original post by NovaChro)
I will be doing GCSE maths the fourth time in my sixth form, the reason I failed it to be honest with you is that I never revised that much, but I am set on passing this summer.

I had a chat with my teacher and he said to me that he can arrange a tutor for me, I guess that will work out, other than that what can I do to make sure I pass this summer, because I have seen that without maths GCSE I can't get a good job e.g. in the media sector

My option for the university will be goldsmith; media and communication foundation year, which requires me to get a distinction in ICT and a grade C in media A2, it doesn't specify any GCSE grade requirements so I should be fine.

Goldsmiths, University of London
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I should elaborate that relevant experience is not an obligatory requirement of the foundation in media, only that many applicants are over 21s that have been working before they apply. https://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/integrated-degree-media/

Best of luck in getting that elusive, pesky maths GCSE. :yy:
Aseebt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Check out a website called MathsGenie, watch all the videos for GCSE maths, it'll really help, then try and answer the questions in the videos, and after you understand a topic fully, go and do some past/practice papers. Practice is the key to excelling in maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.75%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.63%
No, I am unable to (140)
23.1%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.88%