Previous driving instructor keeps hassling me... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This month, I had a driving lesson, which in itself was good, on the day, the instructor was polite, nice and professional. However, after the lesson, we arranged another lesson booked in for the following week. However, due to a family death, I had to cancel. The instructor text me on the day the lesson was supposed to be and told me that as I cancelled on short notice, I would still have to pay. He ended the text with a threat, telling me that if I failed to pay I would be facing legal action. The next day, I had a blazing row with the company's manager, who basically called me a liar and that if I didn't pay, I would be facing legal issues. I put a review about them on Trust Poliot, which they replied to, they are now making me look like a liar. Anyway, things were left alone then for about a week, until tonight. The instructor messaged me and told me to ring up the office a pay. I'm feeling very stressed out and can't cope. I have evidence that he did text me, but I don't know what to do.

They are making me look bad, every time I try to tell the truth.
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This month, I had a driving lesson, which in itself was good, on the day, the instructor was polite, nice and professional. However, after the lesson, we arranged another lesson booked in for the following week. However, due to a family death, I had to cancel. The instructor text me on the day the lesson was supposed to be and told me that as I cancelled on short notice, I would still have to pay. He ended the text with a threat, telling me that if I failed to pay I would be facing legal action. The next day, I had a blazing row with the company's manager, who basically called me a liar and that if I didn't pay, I would be facing legal issues. I put a review about them on Trust Poliot, which they replied to, they are now making me look like a liar. Anyway, things were left alone then for about a week, until tonight. The instructor messaged me and told me to ring up the office a pay. I'm feeling very stressed out and can't cope. I have evidence that he did text me, but I don't know what to do.

When did you cancel your lesson, 48 hrs before the lesson? If it's 24 hrs, that maybe a bit too late as they could have organised another lesson in your slot or something. Though, they should have been more sympathetic.

Either way, perhaps you should just pay them and find a different driving school / instructor to go with, seeing as they appear to be inconsiderate about your situation.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago

Strictly speaking if you cancel at every short notice then you are liable to pay.

Highly unlikely they would take legal action.

Stating you are going to sue is an acceptable threat and differs from Im going to come round and beat you up sort of threat.

If you feel genuinely harassed then report them to the police and provide your evidence.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Didn't you already post this last week? If you cancel at short notice you're still liable for the fee unless they decide to let you off, they haven't, having an argument with a manger afterwards doesn't change that. By all means argue with them and leave bad reviews, but they sound well within their rights to demand payment and threaten court enforcement. *shrug*
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
48 hours notice. I would expect them to be understanding because of the situation due to which you cancelled. Pay up and let them know that they really should make allowances when it's a family bereavement. Mind you, it does depends whether it is your immediate family, or extended.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They won't go to legal action since it will cost them more than £20 to try and recover the money.

You don't provide enough detail on when you informed them to cancel (only said that they replied on the day of the lesson). No doubt the review on Trusted Pilot has probably annoyed them.

Is it a big driving company or a small one?
Turquaz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

You can't control what people say to you. But you can control how you react to it. So in this case, my reaction would be to ignore them.

How many times are they going to call and text you? When they don't see a response from you they'll just shut up. And no, taking "legal action" over such a silly thing would be a waste of their business time. They'd rather use that time teaching someone else and make some money.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

How do you explain the fact that the driving school in question (and yes, I know which one it is because you posted this same issue twice before) has zero reviews on Trustpilot???
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
madison1996
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Didn't you post this the other day? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5761580

Just send them the death certificate or just pay the fee it's only around £25
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by madison1996)
Didn't you post this the other day? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5761580

Just send them the death certificate or just pay the fee it's only around £25
And previously under the username of BenMartleson12 - which is now a deleted account.
Bubblylibra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If it was short notice, unfortunately, you will need to pay.
pericardium
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You shouldn't been informed before your first driving lesson of any cancellation policies and subsequent fees as a result of late cancellations - with my driving school, they will charge if you cancel in less than 24 hours from the start of the lesson. You have to remember that these instructors have to make a living too, and within that cancellation window they may not be able to find a replacement student in that time.

I am ever so sorry to hear about the death of your family member. I understand why you may feel like you deserve some sort of sympathy or empathy in this situation, but the driving school clearly are not interested in their reasoning, they just want your money. I'm afraid you'll have to pay, one way or another.
Waldorf67
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you’re so stressed, just pay?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Didn't you already post this last week? If you cancel at short notice you're still liable for the fee unless they decide to let you off, they haven't, having an argument with a manger afterwards doesn't change that. By all means argue with them and leave bad reviews, but they sound well within their rights to demand payment and threaten court enforcement. *shrug*
Yeah it looks like the same person.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Yeah it looks like the same person.
Undoubtedly.
Aaron702
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unless you signed some form of contract or bought a block of lessons, you're under no obligation to pay. Most driving instructors pretend to operate as a business when in fact they're just an ADI that happens to be self-employed. They have no more legal grounds to demand money than a street beggar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads