Chance of VAC scheme with little work experience? Watch

Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys,*

In the midst of sending off more vac scheme applications as a second year law student.

I am just wondering what the realistic possibility of me landing one is considering I have only got a 3 day regional firm administrative work experience stint a couple of years ago and a couple of paper rounds under the work experience section...

I applied for a few insight days last year but I was not accepted, and spent last Summer studying at NUS on a university Summer School type programme.*

Any advice on what my next steps should be? Or is this not fatal to my application.*

My first year results from a Russell Group uni were all an okay 2:1, but not outstanding.*

Thank you in advance!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Chichaldo)
Hi guys,*

In the midst of sending off more vac scheme applications as a second year law student.

I am just wondering what the realistic possibility of me landing one is considering I have only got a 3 day regional firm administrative work experience stint a couple of years ago and a couple of paper rounds under the work experience section...

I applied for a few insight days last year but I was not accepted, and spent last Summer studying at NUS on a university Summer School type programme.*

Any advice on what my next steps should be? Or is this not fatal to my application.*

My first year results from a Russell Group uni were all an okay 2:1, but not outstanding.*

Thank you in advance!
It would really help your application to get more relevant work experience

Does your Uni help in any way, for example by running a law clinic partly staffed by law school volunteers?

Another good option is to volunteer with the Citizens Advice Bureau, that counts as relevant work experience for Law and you can organise it yourself (just google CAB)
Vs2019
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I would also suggest getting a part time job, even if it's just customer service level.
workinglawyer
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It’s definitely a stumbling block. Many students and graduates think they can answer the questions “why law?” and “why do you want to be a solicitor?”, but in reality they can’t because they have absolutely no idea what the work entails. Your best bet is to concurrently get legal experience elsewhere.
flatlined
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No, it's fine; it's not a stumbling block.

Depends on what kind of law firm you're gunning for. If City, CAB is not going to be very interesting quite honestly.

Most work experience is entirely irrelevant to the job and no vac schemer or future trainee really understands what the work entails in any detail.

Main thing for City firms is having a 2:1 average for your first year; you do, and that's great. I'd like to see some university/society positions you could talk about. I suppose you have one or two of them.

See how it goes and in the meantime try to get a position of responsibility at university you can talk about. University positions are often better because you'll get more responsibility than a paid position at this stage. Be wary about listening to students on the internet.

Also try to find an alternative to law, there are better career paths. Even if you decide to go for law, having a banking/consulting/marketing internship isn't going to do you any harm and you can talk it up as office/a learning experience in any interview too.
Last edited by flatlined; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (54)
8.4%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.49%
No, but I want to start (238)
37.01%
No, I am unable to (149)
23.17%
No, I chose not to (186)
28.93%