daschunddog
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
critically evaluate the contribution to democratic political theory that Machiavelli and hobbes have made.basically need some points for this essay, need some sort of direction! plz help thanks
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what ideas do you have so far? Is this for A levels or uni? Just some general pointers I would personally make. Did this like a yr ago so I take no responsibility for the accuracy/validity of my points

Hobbes:
-The nature of consent. How the government must initially be consented by the people. But also mention his argument for a centralised and absolute authority - unquestioning obedience. Except in certain circumstances which I can't remember on the top of my head.
-Social contract to escape the state of nature. People show they can learn from experience (prudence) - can construct government for themselves rather than it being given by god or history. They chose to enter the contract.
-Use the social contract to critically argue both sides. Power is absolute, order is worth the sacrifice of liberty, shouldn't question etc...
-Leviathan can be any form of govt - monarchal or democratic. What matters is the protection it offers etc, man's not too fussed...
-I also remember reading a section in his book where he explicitly criticised democracy itself but yeah can't remember, you can look it up bucko.

Machiavelli:
-I kinda remember reading sth about ppl governed by their own citizens, the ability to choose their own leader (or it might have been a dream). Read the discourse.
**Lost my notes for him, will have a look on my drive when I get the chance and edit it in if I remember**

Wow...okay. This post is literally me trying to put something down in my exam because I refuse to leave it blank...good luck. :rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?