Do I need A level chemistry to do Biomedical engineering? Watch

finn26_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I haven't picked my subjects yet. At the minuite I am doing Maths, Biology, T&D and N&F science. I am really set on doing biomedical engineering and I have looked at some uni requirements but I still don't know if I need A level chemistry. Does anyone know if i could be accepted with the subjects i want to do?
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by finn26_)
I haven't picked my subjects yet. At the minuite I am doing Maths, Biology, T&D and N&F science. I am really set on doing biomedical engineering and I have looked at some uni requirements but I still don't know if I need A level chemistry. Does anyone know if i could be accepted with the subjects i want to do?
Engineering is mostly applied maths and physics. Check the entry requirements at specific universities you are interested in.

Eg KCL requires Maths and Physics with "Further Mathematics, Chemistry or Biology" preferred:
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...ring-beng.aspx

So you are fine to have Biology instead of Chemistry, but you need Physics. Physics is much more commonly required than Chemistry for engineering.

What is "T&D and N&F science"? Presumably T&D is Technology & Design, but N&F?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doonesbury; 3 weeks ago
finn26_
Rep:
?
N&F is nutrition and food science
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
N&F is nutrition and food science
Ok great.

And your thoughts on my other comments?
finn26_
Rep:
?
I can't do physics because I don't do it for gcse but the majority of the more medical based engineering degrees that I'm interested in don't require it. The degrees that I looked at usually said maths and biology. I researched this when picking gcse to make sure I didn't have to do physics (I picked further maths instead). Based on most of the degrees I have looked at today as long as I have maths and biology I should be ok without chemistry as many just ask for an A grade in another subject. I think i'm going to do N&F instead simply because I think I will be able to get an a in it easier than chem and I prefer it as well but if I need to, I can change it at the start of next year. Thanks for your reply and the link was really helpful aswell.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can't do physics because I don't do it for gcse but the majority of the more medical based engineering degrees that I'm interested in don't require it. The degrees that I looked at usually said maths and biology. I researched this when picking gcse to make sure I didn't have to do physics (I picked further maths instead). Based on most of the degrees I have looked at today as long as I have maths and biology I should be ok without chemistry as many just ask for an A grade in another subject. I think i'm going to do N&F instead simply because I think I will be able to get an a in it easier than chem and I prefer it as well but if I need to, I can change it at the start of next year. Thanks for your reply and the link was really helpful aswell.
Cool. Sounds like you're doing your research well

Just check a few more universities for their requirements. They can all vary a lot.

Not many offer the course you want so it's probably worth checking them all so you know where you stand.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
finn26_
Rep:
?
Thanks i have looked at a few different courses as well just incase i change my mind on this one but thanks for your help and good luck to you with whatever you are doing at the minute!
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks i have looked at a few different courses as well just incase i change my mind on this one but thanks for your help and good luck to you with whatever you are doing at the minute!
:hat2:

(I'm a parent, not a student. )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise