ash04
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all! I'm applying for Sussex (most likely setting it as my firm) for 2019. I was just wondering what the best accommodation is? I know it is extremely subjective but this is what I would prefer:

- sociable, with mature party people, but no east slope. I love a good party but I also need my alone time haha.
- en-suite
- not full of international students (or a good mix). from what I hear, the halls that have international students tend to get people sticking with people that are their own nationalities. as much as I appreciate this I would rather not be left out lol.

That's it lol. I'm kind of stuck between Swanborough / Lewes Court Phase 2. I don't mind paying the more expensive prices if it means I will have a better experience!
TortoiseSheldon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I was at Sussex I stayed in Northfield and loved it! Lewes Court is great as well but if I remember rightly not all of them have an en-suite bathroom and the accommodation itself is slightly older. I don'd know much about Swanborough as I never went in there but it looks very nice from the outside and is right in the middle of campus! To be honest when it comes to the social side of things it is more what you make of it rather than where you are on campus, if you join lots of societies and try and meet as many people as possible then your social life will be great regardless of what accommodation you are in. The best thing to do is to go to an open day or an applicant day and visit the accommodations yourself to get a real feel of what each accommodation is like.
excitedpresent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ash04)
Hi all! I'm applying for Sussex (most likely setting it as my firm) for 2019. I was just wondering what the best accommodation is? I know it is extremely subjective but this is what I would prefer:

- sociable, with mature party people, but no east slope. I love a good party but I also need my alone time haha.
- en-suite
- not full of international students (or a good mix). from what I hear, the halls that have international students tend to get people sticking with people that are their own nationalities. as much as I appreciate this I would rather not be left out lol.

That's it lol. I'm kind of stuck between Swanborough / Lewes Court Phase 2. I don't mind paying the more expensive prices if it means I will have a better experience!
I'd say northfield. i'm biased bc i myself live in northfield atm : D
Swanborough and lewes court are both good too...lewes court has washing machines too which saves you a quid or too on washing

northfield & lewes are further away from campus tho, whereas swanborough is pretty close by
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My opinion on housing:

Park houses, the only decent one is Kent House and even here, you are next door to security at York House. It is a great place for a party to be shut down.

Park Village, a pretty mouldy place tbh, just avoid it. Tiny kitchens, not enough showers per person etc.

Brighthelm, Probably underrated, you get a washing machine which will save you a small fortune over the year (which is a handy way of making friends from other accommodations lol). Also it is fairly close to the main road so easy to get on a bus for a night out and is in the style of normal houses. So actually quite a nice place to stay in my opinion.

Lewes court phase 1/2. Phase 1 is marginally closer to central campus (about 10 seconds) and is older and without en-suite. Phase 2 is much nicer and has your en-suite if you're looking for that.

Northfields, Has a more fancy en-suite than phase 2, I don't think the rooms are nicer tbh though. Also it is a fair trek from campus, but they do have a nice bar up there now.

Swanborough - lots of glass, everyone can see you lol.

Stanmer court - too far away from everyone else, but close to a bus stop that takes you into town and close to the train station. I have no other opinions than that.

New East slope, I can't even get in to see what it is like : ( I think you need an access card and I don't know many 1st years these days lol.
Mazza-G
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ash04)

- en-suite

Hey ash04!

I am and have been living in Stanmer Court for almost 3 years now and in my opinion it's the best. I know you are torn between Swanborough and Lewes court, but let me give you my stance.

Swanborough, although I've never been inside, is directly in the middle of campus. You've got Co-op across the road, library is quite close so it's all clustered around. The thing I don't particularly like about it though is that when I have my French class in Fulton which is just in front of it, you can see all the Swanborough windows. Although half of each window is tinted with different colour, personally I wouldn't have enjoyed the idea of everyone being able to see my room. However, it might be one of the few residences that has washing machines (don't quote me on it), so you might save up on laundry.

Lewes Court phase 2 (if that's en-suite, I imagine it would be much easier) is quite further away, around Northfield area at the north half of the campus. I've been to the non en-suite Lewes Court and it's alright, the kitchen is a bit longer, but I don't like that it's further away from everything else.

Stanmer remains my favourite all these years because you have the train station and bus stop at your doorstep. We are secluded from the rest of the campus, but everything is still quite close - Falmer House is the first thing you'll come across when you head towards campus and that's where the Student Union is, Falmer Bar, Room 76 and other bits and bobs including the Student Union shop which has some food and merchandise. Library is close, it takes me about 4-5 minutes to get to. The blocks have been refurbished over these last 3 years and you have en-suite in each room. We have 24h porters' reception which you can call/come down to in case of any issues. There is also a laundrette, but I don't use it, so I don't know how much it is. You have to download an app. Flat rooms range from 4-6, kitchens are quite large (not for parties though! Read the Tenancy Agreement when you get your offer), so overall it remains my best. Oh, and it does have a good mix of students normally. I'm a residential advisor (hence I get to live there for 2 years after first year), so I visit a lot of flats and it's usually quite a good mix of students, vast majority of which is usually British.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (67)
21.9%
No (239)
78.1%

Watched Threads