The Student Room Group

Help with SFE - Biological Parents

Hi all,

I have what feels like a huge problem with Student Finance.

So just as a background, I am not from here (from Europe), but have been here for over 4 years. My mother and father are separated which meant that my father lived here with his wife and my mother lived back home.

For my student finance application, I know that you need a biological parent to support your application so historically I have always used my father. For the academic year of 2018-19, I had put my father down and before he could send off any forms to SFE he unfortunately passed away (in the summer).

I called SFE and they advised my step mother to fill in the form, and everything went through as normal.

Yesterday, I received an email from SFE where they are asking for clarification on who my biological parent is and that my application can only be supported by my biological parent.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

What do I do? What will a change on my application mean?

It's all quite worrying...
Reply 1
Bump!
Reply 2
Pls
Reply 3
Original post by HelpWithSFE
Hi all,

I have what feels like a huge problem with Student Finance.

So just as a background, I am not from here (from Europe), but have been here for over 4 years. My mother and father are separated which meant that my father lived here with his wife and my mother lived back home.

For my student finance application, I know that you need a biological parent to support your application so historically I have always used my father. For the academic year of 2018-19, I had put my father down and before he could send off any forms to SFE he unfortunately passed away (in the summer).

I called SFE and they advised my step mother to fill in the form, and everything went through as normal.

Yesterday, I received an email from SFE where they are asking for clarification on who my biological parent is and that my application can only be supported by my biological parent.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

What do I do? What will a change on my application mean?

It's all quite worrying...

Hi,

I am very sorry for your loss and I wish you all the best.

I recommend that you message us privately via Facebook or Twitter. Our Social Media Advisors can authenticate you and review your account to help you with this. We are available to talk and can respond to you shortly if you message us just now.

Regards,
Nihad

Quick Reply