Placement year vs Graduate Scheme Watch

Momo_27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi Guys! I'm in my second year at the moment and wondering what are the pros and cons of doing a placement year and/or taking on a graduate scheme once graduated. I am confused as to which one to take on.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Momo_27)
Hi Guys! I'm in my second year at the moment and wondering what are the pros and cons of doing a placement year and/or taking on a graduate scheme once graduated. I am confused as to which one to take on.
Both are completely different: a placement year is essentially an internship that lasts typically 12months, whereas a graduate scheme is a full time, professional structured training programme for graduates that lasts typically around 2-3yrs. It offers the opportunity to try out different roles within a department, or even outside your department and build the skills you need.

Graduate schemes are extremely competitive, since there are limited amount of space and a huge number of people applying per space. Doing a placement year increases your chance of landing a graduate scheme, as you'll have a year's worth of (relevant) experience, which you've spent gaining some transferrable skills.
Last edited by kkboyk; 4 weeks ago
Momo_27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
Both are completely different: a placement year is essentially an internship that lasts typically 12months, whereas a graduate scheme is a full time, professional structured training programme for graduates that lasts typically around 2-3yrs. It offers the opportunity to try out different roles within a department, or even outside your department and build the skills you need.

Graduate schemes are extremely competitive, since there are limited amount of space and a huge number of people applying per space. Doing a placement year increases your chance of landing a graduate scheme, as you'll have a year's worth of (relevant) experience, which you've spent gaining some transferrable skills.
Aren't Internships just as competitive? Also, there seems to less internships than graduate schemes when I've been researching
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Momo_27)
Aren't Internships just as competitive? Also, there seems to less internships than graduate schemes when I've been researching
They are indeed, especially for large firms like HSBC (last year for the role I have applied for they stated there are only 10 spaces availabe, and there were around 2 assessment centres with around 70-80 people, which we split into groups of 5-8 in the venue). Depends on what sort of job you're looking at. Most companies that offer graduate scheme also offers internships (mainly summer).

I'd personally suggest checking out smaller firms as a lot of them have really good opportunities (you can find a lot of them in graduate talent pool's website).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads