The Student Room Group

KeyForge: Call of the Archons

KeyForge is the new(ish) card game created by Richard Garfield of Magic: The Gathering fame. He apparently wanted to create something similar to the early days of MTG, before full card sets and ideal deck builds were easily available online, a time when people would just slap a load of cards together and form their own unique deck.

KeyForge achieves this by having each 37 card deck be completely unique, with its own procedurally-generated name and card backing, so you can't just take the best cards from several decks and combine them. What you open is what you get. It apparently also fixes common issues found in MTG such as mana flood/screw, with a system that ensures you can always play at least one card each turn.

I've not had the opportunity to play this game yet (I live half-way up a mountain in the middle of nowhere, and there's no digital version at this stage), but I'm curious to hear whether anyone else has, and what you think about it. :holmes:
Are you refering to the online-game, because KeyForge is also a table game. How does the card game work, is it like the Yu-Gi-Oh-principle just to get a slight clue?
Original post by Kallisto
Are you refering to the online-game, because KeyForge is also a table game. How does the card game work, is it like the Yu-Gi-Oh-principle just to get a slight clue?

The card game. :yes: Though it turns out I was wrong in my original post, there is an unofficial fanmade online version out there!

From what I understand, it is similar in how it is played to the likes of Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic: the Gathering and Pokemon etc (casting cards to fight other cards and damage the player behind them), but with KeyForge each deck is unique, the cards from one can't be mixed with another, so it's not a 'trading' card game in the same way that the others are.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
The card game. :yes: Though it turns out I was wrong in my original post, there is an unofficial fanmade online version out there!

From what I understand, it is similar in how it is played to the likes of Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic: the Gathering and Pokemon etc (casting cards to fight other cards and damage the player behind them), but with KeyForge each deck is unique, the cards from one can't be mixed with another, so it's not a 'trading' card game in the same way that the others are.

Guess I understand. It means that I have not to specialize a deck with certain monsters that it works, as in the pokemon trading card game where fire pokemons are shuffled with fire pokemons and water with water, because they need different energy cards to attack. In other words: KeyForge decks allows different element monsters.

But it is not a video game...?!:hmmmm:

Quick Reply

Latest