getting onto pgce Watch

kae1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi everyone!
i am just posting here to see others opinions, get some advice and maybe ease my worries.

I am currently in my second year at the open university doing an open degree which are based on childhood modules.

I really want to do a primary pgce afterwards but I have so many worries about if I will even get onto the pgce.

I don’t have any experience in schools and I know that I will probably need that to gain a better chance of being accepted however I don’t know when it is best to gain that experience.

I also don’t know how to get experience in schools! I mean surely they don’t just let anyone in to come and volunteer for a few days and you would need some information to provide them with but would doing a degree in childhood be sufficient enough for them to let me gain experience in their school?

I am just very worried about working hard on my three year degree and then not being accepted onto a pgce.

Any advice would be very much appreciated
Geek5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Write to local schools saying you want some voluntary experience and explain why. You’ll need a DBS check and that’s free for volunteers.
kae1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Geek5)
Write to local schools saying you want some voluntary experience and explain why. You’ll need a DBS check and that’s free for volunteers.
thanks so much for your reply! Yeah I suppose that’s the best thing to do. I think because I just don’t have any experience and went straight from school myself to university I didn’t know the best way to go about it and if it was as easy to just email and say I want to volunteer or I had to do more and provide more to get in. Thanks for your help!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Agreed with the above post. Many primary schools have volunteering programmes. There is also a school experience portal on the get into teaching website. Good luck!
kae1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Agreed with the above post. Many primary schools have volunteering programmes. There is also a school experience portal on the get into teaching website. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads