HELP - Continue development or focus on career change? Watch

Buxey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I am in need of a bit of advice.

I have just started a degree in psychology ( Open University ) as I want to have a career change from my current job which is IT. ( I am a first line support analysis nothing technical or fancy )

my issue is that doing a degree in psychology is taking a lot of my free time up ( 30ish hours a week writing essays etc etc and working full time )

my plan for this year is to clear my debt ( 7k ) and save up 10k plus for a deposit on a mortgage.

my current salary does not support this as it would need to be either saving for the mortgage or clearing my debt.

I went for a weekend job that I did end up getting offered but my current place has declined it as it would mean me working 7 days a week and would inflict on my current mon-fri role

they have advised me to focus on taking all the IT exams I can so once my review is up ( 6 monthsish ) so I can basically ask for more money as I will have more skills and qualifications

I am not interested in taking any exams as I'm trying to focus on psychology and only plan on staying here for 2 years then moving onto something to support my psychology degree but this could be a good way to earn more money, pay off debt not have to work weekends while juggling a degree!

any advice would be great!
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what's your plan for psychology?

sounds like it's gotta be about your priorities... you can aim for more money short term in a career you don't want (by focusing on IT) or aim for more money long term in a career you do want.

We can't make that choice for you.It also depends on age. I'm 27 and now not ok with a job which doesn't allow me to save as I wanna look towards the future... at 22 I would have been happy with not being in debt if I was going in the right direction.
Buxey
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
what's your plan for psychology?

sounds like it's gotta be about your priorities... you can aim for more money short term in a career you don't want (by focusing on IT) or aim for more money long term in a career you do want.

We can't make that choice for you.It also depends on age. I'm 27 and now not ok with a job which doesn't allow me to save as I wanna look towards the future... at 22 I would have been happy with not being in debt if I was going in the right direction.
I will become a clinical psychologist, what I am now thinking of doing ( my mind never stops ) is becoming a mental health support worker to gain experience ( as from what I've seen ) the salary is the same as what I am on now!
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Buxey)
I will become a clinical psychologist, what I am now thinking of doing ( my mind never stops ) is becoming a mental health support worker to gain experience ( as from what I've seen ) the salary is the same as what I am on now!
OK great, just lots of people go into psychology with no idea how hard it is to get a good job! It will likely take a minimum of 2-3 years post graduation in relatively low paid roles to get on a doctorate so factor that in to your decision financially.
Buxey
Rep:
?
OK great, just lots of people go into psychology with no idea how hard it is to get a good job! It will likely take a minimum of 2-3 years post graduation in relatively low paid roles to get on a doctorate so factor that in to your decision financially.
you're absolutely right, its a long bloody road but I road I hope worth travelling down!
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Buxey)
you're absolutely right, its a long bloody road but I road I hope worth travelling down!
Yes! I'm currently going through my first round of applications for ed psych. all the best!
Buxey
Rep:
?
Yes! I'm currently going through my first round of applications for ed psych. all the best!
What experience did you gain before applying?
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Buxey)
What experience did you gain before applying?
well just fyi I have one interview, one rejection, one undeclared atm

I did:
paid -
2 years ESL teacher abroad
2 years learning support assistant
1 year support worker
voluntary and part time-
research assistant
support on kids holiday schemes
coordinator on adult mental health drop ins
classroom support
Buxey
Rep:
?
well just fyi I have one interview, one rejection, one undeclared atm

I did:
paid -
2 years ESL teacher abroad
2 years learning support assistant
1 year support worker
voluntary and part time-
research assistant
support on kids holiday schemes
coordinator on adult mental health drop ins
classroom support
How did you survive while doing your degree and being a support worker?
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Buxey)
How did you survive while doing your degree and being a support worker?
I didn't. I studied full time and just did a bit of volunteering.
Buxey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I didn't. I studied full time and just did a bit of volunteering.
So you lived at home ? Sorry for all the questions I would like to ask more 😅
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Buxey)
So you lived at home ? Sorry for all the questions I would like to ask more 😅
when?

I moved out at 19 when I moved to uni (with my student loan) and then after uni supported myself with the jobs mentioned above
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Buxey)
but isnt that one hell of a gamble. year after year, exam after exam, degree after degree, throwing tens of thousands at it. then doing low paid jobs all in the hope you get a job that was never guaranteed or perhaps even exists
Last edited by SJW-; 3 weeks ago
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
why not become a software engineer?

starting salary 25k - 30k
6+ yrs experience: 40k-50k
architect/management level 60k-80k

or go to london and do the 400/day contracting jobs

that's more than you'd earn as a psychologist
Buxey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
why not become a software engineer?

starting salary 25k - 30k
6+ yrs experience: 40k-50k
architect/management level 60k-80k

or go to london and do the 400/day contracting jobs

that's more than you'd earn as a psychologist
I am not passionate about software, I am passionate about psychology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.49%
No (66)
98.51%

Watched Threads