What's most important to you in a job? Watch

Poll: What's the most important factor when choosing a job?
Salary (22)
22.92%
Work/life balance (40)
41.67%
Career progression (18)
18.75%
The chance to make an impact at an early stage (16)
16.67%
candokoala
  • TSR Group Staff
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For me, work/life balance is really important, as is being challenged and feeling like I'm always learning something new.

When applying for jobs (particularly post-uni), what are/were your biggest drivers and most important factors to look for?

Are you motivated by money, work/life balance, career progression or making an impact at an early stage...

or something else?
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A reasonable work/life balance & a good salary are equally important.
FailedMyMocks
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For me making a difference is my biggest motivator. Making the world a better place.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The chance to make an impact at an early stage. If I dont think I'm.making a good impact, I'll give up. Money doesn't motivate me, and I only take on few hours so can manage work/life balance mostly. Not much to progress to in my line of work.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I like a job where you get to meet a lot of suitably aged women, such that they're considering marriage and might choose me as their life partner.
CrazyKittenLady
  • TSR Group Staff
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For me I think its all of them together really...

I need a good enough salary to pay my bills
A good work life balance
I love pushing my self to be better and learn more so I would want career progression
hannxm
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Work/life balance and not loathing getting up in the morning to go to work each day.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Regular monthly paychecks to pay rent, groceries and minimum card payments.
Working with cute canines is an added bonus.
I try not to get bitten by lawyers.
auburnstar
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Feeling like you are helping other people and making a difference is the biggest one for me. Even if I was well-paid in a job if I felt like I was just a cog in a big commercial wheel I would eventually start to dislike it. I take a lot of significance and meaning out of what I do and am very hard-working by nature, so feel like I need to be challenged and do something positive.

Possibility for career progression/upward trajectory is another one.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Voted for salary, but generally it's a mix of salary, work/life balance and the actual work I do. I'm willing to compromise to an extent but it's usually going to come back to money. I'm probably not willing to work 20 hours a week on a job I love if it comes at the expense of low pay. Not while I'm a young person looking for financial stability at least. Equally the salary would have to be ridiculous to get me to do a job I hate with no work/life balance.

A better way of describing this is value. Money is not the only value I can get from a job. Good experience may be more valuable than the money for example.
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Career progression, salary and the office's exterior design (shallow I know...).

Ngl, I don't care too much about work/life balance - at least not for the first 10 years.
Aloha1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
Career progression, salary and the office's exterior design (shallow I know...).

Ngl, I don't care too much about work/life balance - at least not for the first 10 years.
This is me minus the design of office (care more for the tech offered).
SJW-
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i want a job i enjoy; no sunday night axneity, morning dread, bad commute. id take a job i enjoy at expense of salary, work life, progression. i volunteered at a charity and the dudes there probably werent earning much and wasnt much if any progression but they loved their job they walked in pumped up and excited
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
work/life balance for me, assuming that also broadly includes actually enjoying your job.

I LIKE money, and I def need it, but it comes and goes and i've tried doing the 'sticking with jobs i hate because the money is good' thing.

Retraining into high end Horticulture now, which is def not something you get into for the money, but in my case because I want to be my own boss and largely do what I want. If anything I want my degree so i can essentially charge more per hour....and then do less hours :P
aamirac
Report 4 weeks ago
Something I always look for is what kind of support system they have for their employees.

I do believe that it sets the foundation of being able to have a good work/life balance, steady career progression and enjoy coming into work.
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Work/life balance. The other stuff is important too, but as long as I can continue to live my 'proper life' away from work without excessive intrusion, I like to believe I could handle them not being great.
chooseanother
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I need a job that’s fulfilling, something where I actually feel like I’m making a difference in the world. I feel like that’s the most important factor for me to feel satisfied.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
M4dSc13ntstD
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Career progression, time comuting to work and just enjoyment.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ultimately it's making a difference in the world. I treat capitalism as a necessary evil and nothing more. I would forever hate to do a Job where I'm stuck to a soulless corporate ladder, forever inslaved to countless middlemen with 'invented Jobs'. There was a study actually showing that most corporate jobs are completely pointless.

So research science, teaching, even Medicine are the areas I'm aiming at, even If I don't earn a lot. I'd rather help humanity in general in a small way rather than help a few rich executives earn more millions.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Impact: since joining my current firm I've witnessed its expansion from a two-person to a twenty-person operation, all the while steadily carving out a unique role for myself as a kind of dynamic inter-disciplinary troubleshooter, systems administrator, project co-ordinator, proofreader and resident visual creative.

Granted I could stand to be earning a little more, but considering how many people variously despise what they do or detest the people they do it for I'm nonetheless inclined to count my blessings.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads