Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (I think this fits in the Geography section, but feel free to move this post if it fits better somewhere else)

Next Monday (19th May) I have a World Development GCE AS exam, but as it is a relatively new subject and is run by a smaller exam board - WJEC - it is very difficult to find revision help on this subject.

Can anyone help me out with what I should be revising? Are there any World Development teacher on this forum? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    http://wjecworlddev.blogspot.com/
    and
    http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_princi...1&subject_id=6
    http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngf..._dev/g_miller/ (if this helps)
    These are the websites I am going to revise from, sorry if they are not useful.

ReputationRep:
    You could have look at geography text books, which would certainly have something on the subject as its very big. Geog Revision guides are also likely to have some stuff on it as well I would have thought. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, both of you.
    ahijaw, that last link is very useful.

Can anyone recommend a good geography book that encompasses the themes as listed on http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngf..._dev/g_miller/?
    For example Theme 1: Development, Resources and Global Citizenship

1. There are basic human needs and these have an impact on resource utilisation.
    2. There are limits to environmental tolerance which affect the availability of resources.
    3. The responsible use of resources for development involves sustainable development.
    4. There are competing claims and views on the use and management of natural resources

ReputationRep:
    How did the exam go?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know why I got worked up about revising. Contrary to what we were taught, it was all basically common sense questions. I knew the case studies so I was fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, it didn't ask much theory, though threw in a few 'words' that looked like I knew my stuff........yeah it was an alright paper.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing world development AS and A2 thid june series of exams, and I'm having to self study for it. I'm struggling with relevant case studies and I was wondering if anyone who's done it could name drop me a few for eachj theme if you've got them? It woudl be a great help - need a B in this or i'm not going to my first choice uni Thanks in advance xx

ReputationRep:
    @BexPanther.
    Okay, in the exam they'll ask you things on like sustainable development or to write a definition of poverty (you can just say that poverty in the UK is defined as anyone living below 60% of the avg. income)
    and they'll ask general questions which you have to apply your own case studies you've learned- e.g. 'Using 1 social group you have studied, outline how they can fall into poverty'
    and you have to know which case study you'd use.
    For talking about project mannagement (top-down or bottom-up) a good one is the Azwan Dam. Talk about it, then ive advantages and disadvantages. Sustainable development case study- Curitiba- research it, find how they are so efficient, what they're doing etc
    revise malthus and boserup's theories, and some development indicators like GDP (gross domestic product), HPI (human poverty index) and revise vulnerability (case study: Look at Ghana, e.g. trading, men/women inequalities etc)
    I hope that is of some use
    My exam is in 3 weeks, soo scared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honey8012)
    @BexPanther.
    Okay, in the exam they'll ask you things on like sustainable development or to write a definition of poverty (you can just say that poverty in the UK is defined as anyone living below 60% of the avg. income)
    and they'll ask general questions which you have to apply your own case studies you've learned- e.g. 'Using 1 social group you have studied, outline how they can fall into poverty'
    and you have to know which case study you'd use.
    For talking about project mannagement (top-down or bottom-up) a good one is the Azwan Dam. Talk about it, then ive advantages and disadvantages. Sustainable development case study- Curitiba- research it, find how they are so efficient, what they're doing etc
    revise malthus and boserup's theories, and some development indicators like GDP (gross domestic product), HPI (human poverty index) and revise vulnerability (case study: Look at Ghana, e.g. trading, men/women inequalities etc)
    I hope that is of some use
    My exam is in 3 weeks, soo scared!
    hey, thank you so much! yeah on the 20th may yeah?
    are you doing a2 aswell?
    that reallly elps, thankyou!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    The exam is TOMORROW and I'm panicking.
    It's my only AS, so it doesnt really matter too much, but I've been ill most of the year so I know pretty much nothing about it.

Do you basically just need to know case studies? Someone put up some revision notes! I'll put up what I can.
    How many case studies do you need to know?
    And does anyone know what the prediction for the exam is? What's likely to come up?

I'm so frightened. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: ignore post, never knew this was made 2 years ago xD

ReputationRep:
    What are import,export tax and subsidies ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasra485)
    What are import,export tax and subsidies ?
    don't knowmate

ReputationRep:
    use of resources for sustainable development - top/down - CITES n bottom/up CBNRM approaches. Linked to Elephants in Botswana.
    Basic Human Needs- UK and Uganda.
    Global interdependence- The Aral Sea.
    Sustainable development - Local agenda 21 and Practice action - Micro-hydro power in Peru.
    Popuation- resource model - Malthus + Boserup. KENYA and Mauritius.
    Global citezenship and Global Responsibility - North Dakota Access PipeLine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 8, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.