Choosing GCSE subjects at options evening

Watch
Aamani29
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can someone guide me with my daughter choosing gcse options for the upcoming year 8 options evening . She wants to be a doctor . Apart from triple science what other subjects do you recommend . She definitely wants to choose triple science and music rest can anyone recommend and also how many subjects can she take
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends on your school and ow they structure the option blocks, if at all. You will find out more at the evening. Make sure, however, that it is your daughter who wants to study Medicine - not YOUR wish for her to do it, and make sure that she has some back up plans as there is no guarantee, even if you are the most academic person in the world, that she will get entry to it.
Aamani29
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply . True , it’s not my decision but hers and it is her who wants to study medicine and she is very good at science . However, you are right it can all change therefore I want to keep her options open and want her to choose subjects that will open her doors in other fields just in case she falls behind with science . This is the reason I am looking for advise here .
Simbasoul
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aamani29)
Thanks for your reply . True , it’s not my decision but hers and it is her who wants to study medicine and she is very good at science . However, you are right it can all change therefore I want to keep her options open and want her to choose subjects that will open her doors in other fields just in case she falls behind with science . This is the reason I am looking for advise here .
Most schools structure the GCSE options so that you can't make duff decisions. Your daughter will have to do English Language, English Literature, Maths, usually combined science (2 GCSEs) or Triple Science (3 GCSEs), many require them to take RE as a GCSE as well. If she wants to keep her options open the longest, taking Geography and/or History, plus a Modern Foreign Language would help (UCL from memory, one of the Medical Schools in London require a MFL at GCSE). You have also identified she wants to take Music, which can be a good stress reliever (but check carefully if she will be required to do ensemble pieces, where relying on other people's performances, might affect the grade she eventually gets.)
Aamani29
Rep:
?
Spoiler:
Show
Thank you for your suggestion and advise on core subjects and some in sight into taking music . I will def discuss with her music teacher during options evening . Also , would like to know how many optional subjects can they take apart from core triple and ebac subjects . Just some insight before the options would be great help
Aamani29
Rep:
?
Thanks for your insight into subjects she would be obliged to take and the options she should be taking and also on her option ov taking music . I will discuss with her music teacher on options day to be sure what curriculum they follow and structure of performances . It would also be helpful
If you could let me know how many optional gcse subjects she can take apart from triple and ebacc sibjects
Simbasoul
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aamani29)
Thanks for your insight into subjects she would be obliged to take and the options she should be taking and also on her option ov taking music . I will discuss with her music teacher on options day to be sure what curriculum they follow and structure of performances . It would also be helpful
If you could let me know how many optional gcse subjects she can take apart from triple and ebacc
As I said, I thought quite clearly, at the beginning, it depends on your school and how they organise the option blocks - I do not know every school in the country, I’m afraid. The English Bacc is not worth the paper it is not written on - it is not a certificate or official qualification at all and the only people concerned by it will be the school as they have a target for it. Ignore it as it matters not one joy to your daughter.
Aamani29
Rep:
?
Thank you for your advise .
dreweloise
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t know whether you’ve already chosen but if not, triple science should definitely be up there, however there is a lot of extra content and often to study a science at a level you dont actually need triple science so if the workload might be an issue, it would probably best just to do double. asides from that, just get her to do what she enjoys (but is also good at). at the end of the day, gcse results aren’t the be all and end all and she should try and chose a variety of subjects in case she decides to change her career path (which is entirely possible as she’s so young). at our school, in the first few week of school once we’d chosen our subjects, we were allowed to move options if we didn’t like it so maybe check with the school about that? gcse specs tend to be quite different from ks3 and because she’s only year 8 her thoughts may change. we chose our options in year 9 and in year 8 i would never have chosen the subjects i have so yeah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed