The Student Room Group

Household income for maintenance loan

Hi,
I want to apply for a maintenance loan (2019/20). The issue is that my mum and I live in a house with her boyfriend. My mum is on a minimum wage earning around £9000 a year and I earn about £6000 but her boyfriend earns around £60,000. The problem is that because of his pay I won't get enough money to cover at least my accommodation. The thing is that he doesn't have anything to do with me as I pay for myself most of the times and my mum sometimes gets me food. She pays for groceries and he pays for the house although doesn't give her any money. They are not married but live together.
What would you do in this situation? How should I apply for the maintenance loan? Or who should I talk to?
Thanks
Original post by ellchristi
Hi,
I want to apply for a maintenance loan (2019/20). The issue is that my mum and I live in a house with her boyfriend. My mum is on a minimum wage earning around £9000 a year and I earn about £6000 but her boyfriend earns around £60,000. The problem is that because of his pay I won't get enough money to cover at least my accommodation. The thing is that he doesn't have anything to do with me as I pay for myself most of the times and my mum sometimes gets me food. She pays for groceries and he pays for the house although doesn't give her any money. They are not married but live together.
What would you do in this situation? How should I apply for the maintenance loan? Or who should I talk to?
Thanks

Hi,

You've mentioned that you have your own earnings? Is this through employment? How long have your been working for?

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi,

You've mentioned that you have your own earnings? Is this through employment? How long have your been working for?

Regards,
Nihad

Hi, yeah I'm a part time waitress with a contract, been there for about 15-16 months now
Original post by ellchristi
Hi, yeah I'm a part time waitress with a contract, been there for about 15-16 months now

Hi there,

In this case, we'll base your funding on the household income: that is, on their combined earnings. Do you know if your Mum's partner expects his income to drop during your studies?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

In this case, we'll base your funding on the household income: that is, on their combined earnings. Do you know if your Mum's partner expects his income to drop during your studies?

Warm regards,
Graeme

No, he should have increase every year..
Hi there,

Alright - this may be too early, but when you decide on a university, we'd recommend that you speak to their Finance department: they may be able to offer help and guidance here.

Warm regards,
Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending