Dyson moving HQ to Singapore

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jameswhughes
They have to register an office somewhere for legal/tax reasons

Bingo! Follow the money...
Original post by Doonesbury
Bingo! Follow the money...

It's still a scare story, and the fact Dyson have chosen somewhere outside the EU suggests that they would make this move regardless of Brexit.
Dyson has steadily been moving production to Malaysia and Singapore since 2002. I guess the initial switch was because he knew he would switch HQs in 2019, on account of Brexit, and wanted to cover his back.
They have to register an office somewhere for legal/tax reasons, but to everyone else there won't be any noticeable difference.

It's just like the Panasonic scare story from August, the headline that the headquarters were moving meant 5 people were moving to a different office.

There is at least one actual major difference.

Dyson will no longer be paying (one assumes) corporation tax in the UK, he will be paying it in Singapore. This is a major loss to the UK taxpayer.

His hypocrisy is stunning and kind of underlines the scheming, inhuman role that the billionaire class now plays on both the national and international level. It's a great pity that there isn't legislation to prevent major UK companies from simply flipping countries for their HQs like this.
I really dont like dyson as a company so good riddance as far as im concerned
as a product design student i have heard a lot of stories from people who have done placement with them and they arent exactly good
Original post by Notoriety
Dyson has steadily been moving production to Malaysia and Singapore since 2002. I guess the initial switch was because he knew he would switch HQs in 2019, on account of Brexit, and wanted to cover his back.

It's to do with costs of production (lower labour rates in Malaysia) and the huge incentives that countries and regions push at billionaires and their megacorporations to relocate.

Malaysia has drastically lower living standards than the UK (roughly half of ours in terms of GDP per head) and so it's easy to see why he's keen to go there, as they have an increasingly well educated workforce and lots of cheap worker with few union rights and easy to oppress female workers.

We are dealing here with cynical and self-serving massive profit making and no interest whatever in the country that made him rich.
Original post by CoolCavy
I really dont like dyson as a company so good riddance as far as im concerned
as a product design student i have heard a lot of stories from people who have done placement with them and they arent exactly good

People often tell me they were disappointed with their Dyson products in various ways.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
People often tell me they were disappointed with their Dyson products in various ways.

I mean from the inside, the workers not the consumers. There are better companies to work for is what im saying.

Dyson will no longer be paying (one assumes) corporation tax in the UK, he will be paying it in Singapore. This is a major loss to the UK taxpayer.

His hypocrisy is stunning and kind of underlines the scheming, inhuman role that the billionaire class now plays on both the national and international level. It's a great pity that there isn't legislation to prevent major UK companies from simply flipping countries for their HQs like this.

I quite agree. Greed on this scale is not acceptable .
he should make plucky British Brexit hoovers:

i) the Churchill.... it fights dust and fluff everywhere... it will never surrender

ii) the Prince Philip... it goes on and on at full speed

iii) the Theresa... a strong and stable machine. lets you take back control of your carpets

Then that’s a sign we need lower rates in the UK, to be more competitive.
It's to do with costs of production (lower labour rates in Malaysia) and the huge incentives that countries and regions push at billionaires and their megacorporations to relocate.

Malaysia has drastically lower living standards than the UK (roughly half of ours in terms of GDP per head) and so it's easy to see why he's keen to go there, as they have an increasingly well educated workforce and lots of cheap worker with few union rights and easy to oppress female workers.

We are dealing here with cynical and self-serving massive profit making and no interest whatever in the country that made him rich.

None of that upsets me or strikes me as immoral. It puts people in a socially deprived country in the employ and no doubt better employment than local firms offer. Win-win as far as Papa Noto is concerned. Singapore is a great country in which to do business -- a very highly skilled workforce there and much closer to the developing economies of China, India, Indonesia than Essex is.
I mean from the inside, the workers not the consumers. There are better companies to work for is what im saying.

Sorry, yes I realised, I was adding an additional point, but I'm sure you're right about that.
Sorry, yes I realised, I was adding an additional point, but I'm sure you're right about that.

Oh yeh i get you, yeh tbh their products are a bit overhyped for what they are, i feel like they've done all they can with the vacuum so now they are titting about with other things trying to make them look 'dyson' for no real reason and adding the price tag to match :redface:
Then that’s a sign we need lower rates in the UK, to be more competitive.

Eg, a global race to the bottom on tax, which can only lead to zero taxes and no state at all - I know libertarians like that idea, but only because they fantasise about living in castles in a mad max world. Most normal people need the protections and intelligence of an organised society. Letting the billionaire class do as they please is increasingly collapsing that. Joining the ranks of offshored tax havens, which is basically the Brexiteer plan for Britain, is a worthless route for the majority - most of the existing tax havens make almost nothing out of the millions of corrupt rich people they shelter - and they are the size of peanuts compared to the UK.
they are titting about with other things trying to make them look 'dyson'

sex robots.... surely they need powerful suction modules ?

:dontknow:
Oh yeh i get you, yeh tbh their products are a bit overhyped for what they are, i feel like they've done all they can with the vacuum so now they are titting about with other things trying to make them look 'dyson' for no real reason and adding the price tag to match :redface:

There's definitely an element of excessive hype to their claims to be the ultimate innovators.

A friend bought one of their room coolers/heaters and apparently it makes a loud and persistent clicking noise which is unbearable for any length of time.
Original post by the bear

i) the Churchill.... it fights dust and fluff everywhere... it will never surrender

iii) the Theresa... a strong and stable machine. lets you take back control of your carpets

The Farage... drinks your beer, chortles loudly, wears a union jack, makes trouble in the kitchen cupboards, steals your booze and then runs off to Belgium.
The Farage... drinks your beer, chortles loudly, wears a union jack, makes trouble in the kitchen cupboards, steals your booze and then runs off to Belgium.

The Jeremy.... has all kinds of useful bits for getting into those hard-to-reach places

The Diane.... you can count on this. Frequently paired with the Jeremy.
Original post by the bear

If your bedsit is a cesspit, buy yourself a Brexit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending