The Student Room Group

Should I join the British Army

Hi,I'm a 19-year-old girl who lives in London. I began studying Sociology and Criminology at University in September 2018, but dropped out in December after a period of ill health and recognising that university was just not for me. Since being back, I became depressed and withdrawn - losing all self-belief and confidence. With no mental stimulation and social interaction for weeks/months, I have simply lost myself.However, recently, I have been thinking into careers and long term goals. After some research, I am extremely attracted to the army and in being an infantry soldier.I do believe that I have qualities and circumstances that would make me a good recruit and also give me back a sense of belonging, friendship and achievement which I most definitely crave - however, I cannot shake this voice in my head of self-doubt and worry that I won't be as good enough as everyone else or that I won't fit in and I worry that this doubt will never leave.So, I just wanted to hear if possible, some other peoples opinions on joining the British Army or what I should do? Does anyone who's possibly been in/or still is in the army have any advice? Should I go for it? What's life in the army actually like? Will training actually change me? Is it normal to feel this way?Any advice/tips would be massively appreciated! Thank you :smile:
Original post by phoebejoseph
Hi,I'm a 19-year-old girl who lives in London. I began studying Sociology and Criminology at University in September 2018, but dropped out in December after a period of ill health and recognising that university was just not for me. Since being back, I became depressed and withdrawn - losing all self-belief and confidence. With no mental stimulation and social interaction for weeks/months, I have simply lost myself.However, recently, I have been thinking into careers and long term goals. After some research, I am extremely attracted to the army and in being an infantry soldier.I do believe that I have qualities and circumstances that would make me a good recruit and also give me back a sense of belonging, friendship and achievement which I most definitely crave - however, I cannot shake this voice in my head of self-doubt and worry that I won't be as good enough as everyone else or that I won't fit in and I worry that this doubt will never leave.So, I just wanted to hear if possible, some other peoples opinions on joining the British Army or what I should do? Does anyone who's possibly been in/or still is in the army have any advice? Should I go for it? What's life in the army actually like? Will training actually change me? Is it normal to feel this way?Any advice/tips would be massively appreciated! Thank you :smile:

I personally haven’t had any experience with regards to British army. But one thing I can tell you is that you should follow your heart. If your heart says that you should go for it , then DO IT .

I have been in predicaments like yours where I want to do something but then my emotions and self conscious gets the best of me . Call in British army , asl questions . They’ll answer all of your enquires .

Or best of all try and meet with other soldiers or veterans out there in your community. Ask them how they felt , they would be able to tell you the most honest answer out there because they have been through this , they’ve done all the hard .

I hope this helps . And good luck .

Quick Reply

Latest