The Student Room Group

Paranoia about blacking out. Worried about freshers.

I used to love drinking but started to black out and do so whenever I had a bit too much and the next day I’d feel so bad about myself. Yeah I probably had fun, and by the stories my friends told me, I did but it’s not worth it if I can’t remember having a good time.

I can’t help feel paranoid whenever I go out that it’s going to happen again. The last time I went out I was in the club for like five minutes and told my friends I was ill because I was so paranoid about blacking out and I left.

Now I know freshers isn’t for a while yet, but it’s really where everyone makes their friends and I really want to have fun with everyone and enjoy it. Can’t do that if I black out and act a complete state (even for a drunk person, trust me). Does anyone have any tips about how to get over anxiety about clubbing? I will drink alcohol but will control how much I drink.
Original post by Anonymous
I used to love drinking but started to black out and do so whenever I had a bit too much and the next day I’d feel so bad about myself. Yeah I probably had fun, and by the stories my friends told me, I did but it’s not worth it if I can’t remember having a good time.

I can’t help feel paranoid whenever I go out that it’s going to happen again. The last time I went out I was in the club for like five minutes and told my friends I was ill because I was so paranoid about blacking out and I left.

Now I know freshers isn’t for a while yet, but it’s really where everyone makes their friends and I really want to have fun with everyone and enjoy it. Can’t do that if I black out and act a complete state (even for a drunk person, trust me). Does anyone have any tips about how to get over anxiety about clubbing? I will drink alcohol but will control how much I drink.

Just giving this a :bump: for you
Hello :groovy:,

Fresher’s Week and university in general is much more than nights out getting drunk, in fact many students will prefer to not drink for all kinds of reasons. I know at our university for example, some students would much rather spend the night in watching movies or ordering a takeaway. In fact last year we even had a David Attenborough society which brought students together every week to watch his BBC show.

There will be many activities planned during the week for students that prefer not to drink. If you want to get prepared for the week maybe email the student union of the university or the student events team who are organising the week to see if they have anything planned yet. This way you will be able to see the drinking and non-drinking events lined up for the week.

In terms of making friends it will not just be Fresher's Week that give you the option of this. You have the chance to meet people at your classes or through clubs and societies. Whatever University you decide to attend I am sure they will have societies like ours, where you can meet like-minded people.

Finally you could perhaps contact the student support team at the university to see if they have any advice for this situation as I am sure they have came across this before.

I hope this helps,
Tom :shakehand:

I hope this helps,

Quick Reply

Latest