The Student Room Group

Cancel Tenancy agreement 9 months before it starts.

So i signed a contract for next academic year to move in but circumstances have change and I can no longer move to that house (I don't live there yet until August) can I cancel the agreement as there is still 9 months to find someone new for next academic year or is it impossible to do?
Look at your contract and it will see.
Each one is different
Reply 2
It literally says nothing I went through it 10 times and all it is basically the best come out for the landlord. Also it states that the Landlord can terminate the contract if there is no Gurantor, which I didn't give in neither my parents did. Its stupid as the agency people were no help in this, just got told i need to pay anyways?
Reply 3
You signed a contract, I'd be surprised if you could cancel it even if there are 9 months until it starts. The only likely option is that you must find someone to take over your tenancy.

I'd suggest contacting the Landlord ASAP to discuss it with them.
If you signed a contract you probsbly can't get out of it. You could tell the landlord you don't want the room and ask him to try and find something else, let him know you can't find a guarantor and he may choose to cancel it anyways.
Original post by Student1499
It literally says nothing I went through it 10 times and all it is basically the best come out for the landlord. Also it states that the Landlord can terminate the contract if there is no Gurantor, which I didn't give in neither my parents did. Its stupid as the agency people were no help in this, just got told i need to pay anyways?

Very powerful phrase. Can suggests, it's at their own discretion. Meaning, if the landlord is nice, they will help you find a replacement. Or if they're horrible, they will do whatever to get the money back.

But most likely, 9 months is a long enough time. I'd recommend you and the group do some soul searching and look for someone else to take over your tenant agreement, like ASAP. Depending on where you are, you could easily find someone looking over Facebook. That's what I did when I was in your shoes, twice. The first time, the group basically kicked me out and said they didn't want to live with me anymore (they were nice enough to sort out my replacement for me). The 2nd time I quit uni after I had signed my 2nd tenancy so I had to look around, but luckily enough a flatmates from halls needed a place, so he took my spot.
That is a tricky one, best to talk to the landlord or their agents about cancelling it.
Reply 7
its all sorted now i found a tenant to take my place but thank you anyway everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest