TonyMontana.
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am answering a 15 mark evaluative question (Edexcel) and was asking if I have to include language and structure devices with my evidence.
heyitsmika
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Yes, definitely. If the main focus of the question isn’t the structure or the devices, use parts from the text to back up your argument, and mention when stylistic devices are being used, how they are being used, and what they portray or help the reader understand.
But definitely mention at least some!
TonyMontana.
Rep:
(Original post by samiontheroad)Yes, definitely. If the main focus of the question isn’t the structure or the devices, use parts from the text to back up your argument, and mention when stylistic devices are being used, how they are being used, and what they portray or help the reader understand.

I keep getting told to use the SITE structure when answering this type of question have you got any example so that it's easy to get an idea
heyitsmika
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by in_jail_out_soon)
(Original post by samiontheroad)Yes, definitely. If the main focus of the question isn’t the structure or the devices, use parts from the text to back up your argument, and mention when stylistic devices are being used, how they are being used, and what they portray or help the reader understand.

I keep getting told to use the SITE structure when answering this type of question have you got any example so that it's easy to get an idea
What exactly is the SITE structure?

I did the IB and i was taught to structure it like this:
1. The argument for this paragraph
2. Evidence from the text, aka quotes
3. How does this quote support your argument?
4. Then talk about stylistic devices - ie a hyperbole in this specific quote
5. Talk about what hyperboles are trying to achieve and how this relates to your specific quote
6. Relate back to your argument

But I think that there are tons of structures out there
TonyMontana.
Rep:
(Original post by samiontheroad)
Yes, definitely. If the main focus of the question isn’t the structure or the devices, use parts from the text to back up your argument, and mention when stylistic devices are being used, how they are being used, and what they portray or help the reader understand.
this is the extract I have got in the attachment the question I am given is 'In this extract, the writer explains how badly she wanted to get a job.
Evaluate how successfully she has described it.'
Attached files
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
No. Structure and language is irrelevant here. You should not be commenting on literary devices or structural features. The comment below is a copy and paste from a previous thread that I believe you were the OP of. Anyway, the following is useful for any AO4 question for English language at GCSE with Edexcel:

The structure that I always used was to write (or type in my case) an answer consisting of three paragraphs. In each of the three, I'd talk about why an element of SITE (settings, ideas, themes and events) made a certain theme or aspect of the excerpt successful. Obviously, I'd omit the element of SITE that I thought was irrelevant (this was usually the 'setting' element).

All of my paragraphs in this question (Q4 on Paper 1 and Q6 on Paper 2) would always begin with 'evaluative' language to show my focus on AO4 (e.g. 'masterfully manipulates', 'cleverly crafts', 'the writer's exemplary inclusion of...' etc.). After that, I'd include the element of SITE my paragraph would discuss and embed a quote. Then, I would delve deeper into this aspect of the excerpt and also explain its effect on the reader to end the paragraph. I would repeat this process until I had made produced three paragraphs.

Three in-depth paragraphs are as sufficient as four paragraphs (which is what was actually recommended).
heyitsmika
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
No. Structure and language is irrelevant here. You should not be commenting on literary devices or structural features. The comment below is a copy and paste from a previous thread that I believe you were the OP of. Anyway, the following is useful for any AO4 question for English language at GCSE with Edexcel:

The structure that I always used was to write (or type in my case) an answer consisting of three paragraphs. In each of the three, I'd talk about why an element of SITE (settings, ideas, themes and events) made a certain theme or aspect of the excerpt successful. Obviously, I'd omit the element of SITE that I thought was irrelevant (this was usually the 'setting' element).

All of my paragraphs in this question (Q4 on Paper 1 and Q6 on Paper 2) would always begin with 'evaluative' language to show my focus on AO4 (e.g. 'masterfully manipulates', 'cleverly crafts', 'the writer's exemplary inclusion of...' etc.). After that, I'd include the element of SITE my paragraph would discuss and embed a quote. Then, I would delve deeper into this aspect of the excerpt and also explain its effect on the reader to end the paragraph. I would repeat this process until I had made produced three paragraphs.

Three in-depth paragraphs are as sufficient as four paragraphs (which is what was actually recommended).
I don’t know what type of school you’re going to, but speaking from my experience (doing the IB), we always had to talk about stylistic devices.

If we didn’t mention at least three, we couldn’t get past a grade 4.
But maybe that just totally depends on the school system and type
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by samiontheroad)
I don’t know what type of school you’re going to, but speaking from my experience (doing the IB), we always had to talk about stylistic devices.

If we didn’t mention at least three, we couldn’t get past a grade 4.
But maybe that just totally depends on the school system and type
The question the OP is talking about focuses on AO4, which does not encompass stylistic devices. The IB MYP probably does something a bit different compared to Edexcel's GCSE syllabus. I don't think you can compare the two, at all, really.
heyitsmika
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
The question the OP is talking about focuses on AO4, which does not encompass stylistic devices. The IB MYP probably does something a bit different compared to Edexcel's GCSE syllabus. I don't think you can compare the two, at all, really.
You’re absolutely right. I never heard of edexcel before so I just ignored it in the OP.
If I had known that it was the GCSE, I wouldn’t have replied.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads