School absence Watch

Leahmitch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
If I ring in sick to sixth form will my parents get a text to confirm that I’m sick?

I’m not skipping school, I have a really important doctors appointment which is unfortunately in the morning, my parents can’t know why I’m doing to the doctors and my school is one of those schools which just wouldn’t understand the situation.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BenjiInTheBox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
why can’t ur parent know
Leahmitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenjiInTheBox)
why can’t ur parent know
Because I’m getting a procedure which they just can’t know about
ottz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Leahmitch)
If I ring in sick to sixth form will my parents get a text to confirm that I’m sick?

I’m not skipping school, I have a really important doctors appointment which is unfortunately in the morning, my parents can’t know why I’m doing to the doctors and my school is one of those schools which just wouldn’t understand the situation.
If you're in sixth form youre most likely 16+ so the school should respect your right to confidentiality. You shoukd talk to your head of year or pastoral care person and aee if you can take a letter from the doctors into school. They should not tell your parents.
Leahmitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by ottz)
If you're in sixth form youre most likely 16+ so the school should respect your right to confidentiality. You shoukd talk to your head of year or pastoral care person and aee if you can take a letter from the doctors into school. They should not tell your parents.
My head of year is very intimidating which I why I wanted to avoid even mentioning why I wasn’t going be in to her. I was going to just block the school number from my mums phone. Tbh would they even still text her if I rang up saying I was sick?
ottz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My head of year is very intimidating which I why I wanted to avoid even mentioning why I wasn’t going be in to her. I was going to just block the school number from my mums phone. Tbh would they even still text her if I rang up saying I was sick?
They might do, sometimes my school does. If your head of year is scary, find out who your safeguarding person is. Unless you are in danger they are obliged to keep what you say confidential especially if its a medical procedure so its much better to be safe if its really important your parents don't find out. As a side note - whatever it is you're going to the doctor about. Try and talk to someone about it, problems shared often feel much lighter and it'll be much easier with a hand to hold.
Routeri
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
sixth forms are way more strict than colleges... if you're not in your parents will be notified. Maybe you should try to be more open about communicating with your parents especially if your 18 what can they do? They just have to face the facts about what you do in your free time. Tbh the doctors should have taken into account that you are in full time education and given you a better time.
ottz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Routeri)
sixth forms are way more strict than colleges... if you're not in your parents will be notified. Maybe you should try to be more open about communicating with your parents especially if your 18 what can they do? They just have to face the facts about what you do in your free time. Tbh the doctors should have taken into account that you are in full time education and given you a better time.
Leahmitch shouldn't feel pressured to tell their parents whatever is goung on. You know your situation best and your parents best. I would advise you that parents often react better than you would expect and they are probablt able to suporrt you best but you have a right to your privacy. Your school should also understand if you can find a way to talk to them.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Could you not tell your school that you have a doctor’s appointment first thing, and that you will be in after that? As a 6th Former, the school surely wouldn’t expect your parents to attend all your doctors appointments so should accept that that is where you are.
Leahmitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simbasoul)
Could you not tell your school that you have a doctor’s appointment first thing, and that you will be in after that? As a 6th Former, the school surely wouldn’t expect your parents to attend all your doctors appointments so should accept that that is where you are.
I only have one double lesson tomorrow from 8:45 - 10:20
Leahmitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by ottz)
Leahmitch shouldn't feel pressured to tell their parents whatever is goung on. You know your situation best and your parents best. I would advise you that parents often react better than you would expect and they are probablt able to suporrt you best but you have a right to your privacy. Your school should also understand if you can find a way to talk to them.
I’ve mentioned the procedure to my parents before and they completely lost it. I don’t want my school to know that I’m going to the doctors though. It’s just a complicated situation. I could leave after my first lesson but that would mean leaving at break time which I’m not allowed to do.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tell your tutor that you have an emergency doctors Appointment so have to leave at break time - or ask the doctors to reschedule?
Leahmitch
Rep:
?
Tell your tutor that you have an emergency doctors Appointment so have to leave at break time - or ask the doctors to reschedule?
It’s taken me weeks so get this appointment so I really don’t want to reschedule. Tbh I’m grown, I’ll just walk out 😭😭
Routeri
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
lying isn't the best option but asking for a better appointment time is probably the best thing to do so things are less complicated for you
Leahmitch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Routeri)
I’m 17 and I have tried but they have very very different views to me. They know I’m in full time education but it took me weeks to get this appointment which is why I didn’t want to ask for another time because I knew I would have to wait more weeks to get another one.
Routeri
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m 17 and I have tried but they have very very different views to me. They know I’m in full time education but it took me weeks to get this appointment which is why I didn’t want to ask for another time because I knew I would have to wait more weeks to get another one.
Well I guess you may just have to deal with clashing with your parents again after the fact. You might as well report your absense to your sixth form and call it a day. If they don't accept it, then it is what it is. If you're in year 13 and have already applied for university, it won't affect how they view your attendence if your parents don't bother to back you up and to explain your absence. Turn off you phone whilst at the appointment so you can get your procedure over and done with. Then prepare to deal with some unhappy parents when they get home. In the end time will pass and they will get over it or at least end up understanding your point of view.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
7.97%
I used to but I don't now (24)
2.77%