What is a self fulilfing prophecy?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone explain this concept to me? I feel like I get premonitions and I've been told by someone that I could be experiencing a self fulfilling prophecy where I am making my experiences happen. I don't understand this. Can someone please give me an example of a self fulfilling prophecy as I would really really appreciate it.
Mr Optimist
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
It's essentially when you cause something to happen by simply thinking about it or creating it yourself. This really comes from this notion that the future is not set, i.e there is no true destiny except the one we create. Think of therefore as a future that you've created for yourself by assuming that is what would happen (but you don't realise you're doing it most of the time). The good example of this is this concept of placebo effect in healthcare field. I give you a sugar pill but tell you it's a real medicine that will help reduce your headaches, you take it expecting it to make your headache better and voila, your headaches improve!
username3417448
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Its a prediction about yourself which becomes true.

Example: You keep telling your self that you are a failure and you actually become a failure

or you keep telling yourself you're successful and you actually become successful
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Mr Optimist)
It's essentially when you cause something to happen by simply thinking about it or creating it yourself. This really comes from this notion that the future is not set, i.e there is no true destiny except the one we create. Think of therefore as a future that you've created for yourself by assuming that is what would happen (but you don't realise you're doing it most of the time). The good example of this is this concept of placebo effect in healthcare field. I give you a sugar pill but tell you it's a real medicine that will help reduce your headaches, you take it expecting it to make your headache better and voila, your headaches improve!
Thank you for the response. I’m not sure I completely understand, can you explain it further please?
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
living up to a label given to you.
if a teacher kept calling labelling you as a troublemaker even tho ur not, you will eventually become one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (7)
22.58%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
9.68%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
12.9%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
9.68%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
22.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
22.58%

Watched Threads