Laptop/Computer Help Watch

kp2109
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey TSR,

So I have two laptops:
- one with old specs and a broken battery but a new SDD and pretty much just the OS on it (Windows 7)
- the other one has newer specs, working battery but old hard drive (windows 8) 400 out of 500gb is filled.

Is it okay for me to just swap the ssd with the hdd? I'm hoping to have a faster working laptop to use at school.
Thanks for any replies in advance!
barror1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You would need to make sure everything was ok to swap, maybe just do some research to make sure first
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kp2109)
Hey TSR,

So I have two laptops:
- one with old specs and a broken battery but a new SDD and pretty much just the OS on it (Windows 7)
- the other one has newer specs, working battery but old hard drive (windows 8) 400 out of 500gb is filled.

Is it okay for me to just swap the ssd with the hdd? I'm hoping to have a faster working laptop to use at school.
Thanks for any replies in advance!
Providing the old SSD is the 2.5 inch form factor with a SATA connector, it'll work fine. If it's the M.2 form factor then it won't be compatible with a 2.5 inch with the drive bay for your 2.5 inch hard drive.

Other than that basic hardware compatibility, there's nothing to suggest it won't work. However it's good practice to install the OS from scratch if possible, purely to clean up redundant drivers and other rubbish that's left behind from the old device. You may find when transferring the SSD that some features don't work immediately on your new device until new drivers are installed and the OS generally "sorts itself out".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (22)
14.57%
Yes - a food allergy (14)
9.27%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (4)
2.65%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (6)
3.97%
No (105)
69.54%

Watched Threads