Disappointed with my offer Watch

connor.beja
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I heard back from SOAS today for Japanese, and they want AAB. This is what they ask for on their website, so pretty standard stuff, but my college attached a letter to my reference about my circumstances in the hopes that they'd lower the offer for me which they apparently haven't considered at all. I live alone with my mum who has cancer and therefore regular chemotherapy, and I'm her full-time carer because where we live has no services for people like her and we can't afford private carers. I have barely any time to revise since I have to do all of the housework and look after her additionally, and actually have to miss an hour of lessons in college every week because I can't risk leaving her alone for too long. The circumstances letter detailed all of this, but apparently SOAS didn't bother considering it. My exam board (WJEC) doesn't let you have extenuating exam circumstances for situations that affect your revision time, so I won't be getting any of that either. Sorry for the whinging, I just wanted to moan and I can't talk to any of my friends about it. I just feel pretty let down by the education system right now.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by connor.beja)
I heard back from SOAS today for Japanese, and they want AAB. This is what they ask for on their website, so pretty standard stuff, but my college attached a letter to my reference about my circumstances in the hopes that they'd lower the offer for me which they apparently haven't considered at all. I live alone with my mum who has cancer and therefore regular chemotherapy, and I'm her full-time carer because where we live has no services for people like her and we can't afford private carers. I have barely any time to revise since I have to do all of the housework and look after her additionally, and actually have to miss an hour of lessons in college every week because I can't risk leaving her alone for too long. The circumstances letter detailed all of this, but apparently SOAS didn't bother considering it. My exam board (WJEC) doesn't let you have extenuating exam circumstances for situations that affect your revision time, so I won't be getting any of that either. Sorry for the whinging, I just wanted to moan and I can't talk to any of my friends about it. I just feel pretty let down by the education system right now.
This doesn't mean they won't be more lenient at results time. Just do your best and, once you've chosen your firm and insurance, get your school to write again nearer the exams.

All the best in these difficult circumstances.
Routeri
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
what were your predicted grades?
connor.beja
Rep:
?
(Original post by Routeri)
what were your predicted grades?
ABC, so I suppose I should be grateful that they accepted me at all!
Routeri
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ABC, so I suppose I should be grateful that they accepted me at all!
That's interesting. Have you gotten any other offers which have been reduced?
connor.beja
Rep:
?
(Original post by Routeri)
That's interesting. Have you gotten any other offers which have been reduced?
The only other offer I've had is for York st John, which was reduced from BCC to CDD (I think). I see them as my insurance insurance choice though, if that makes sense.
Simbasoul
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Muttley is right - if that is their standard offer, that is what they are offering you but it doesn’t mean they won’t be flexible when you get your results.

With regards to the exam board - you cannot get extra time for the circumstances you describe but what your exams officer should do is apply for “special consideration “ for you. This is applied to the marking of an exam (as opposed to extra time etc which applies to the taking of the exam) - effectively, if you are borderline between grades, special consideration might give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck - just do your best.
connor.beja
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simbasoul)
Muttley is right - if that is their standard offer, that is what they are offering you but it doesn’t mean they won’t be flexible when you get your results.

With regards to the exam board - you cannot get extra time for the circumstances you describe but what your exams officer should do is apply for “special consideration “ for you. This is applied to the marking of an exam (as opposed to extra time etc which applies to the taking of the exam) - effectively, if you are borderline between grades, special consideration might give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck - just do your best.
Sorry if I was unclear, but that special consideration is exactly what I'm talking about. They only offer it for things that affect you during the exam, like having the flu or having a family member pass away recently. I did an enquiry with them last year about it, but they just told me that effects on revision time weren't relevant.
JackMac2904
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You could drop their admissions team an email and ask if they would be lenient towards your situation come results day, try to keep it snappy though, they're busy people But in my experience always happy to help however they can (Though different unis in my case).
Routeri
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug...has-been-made/

check out the answer to 'How do I inform you of extenuating circumstances that I feel may affect my examination results?'
Simbasoul
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry if I was unclear, but that special consideration is exactly what I'm talking about. They only offer it for things that affect you during the exam, like having the flu or having a family member pass away recently. I did an enquiry with them last year about it, but they just told me that effects on revision time weren't relevant.
Ok - if your mother has any treatment before or during your exams, or any sort of relapse etc - go straight to the exams officer and tell them how that is making you feel - ask them to pass this to the exam boards and to ask for special consideration then - it’s up to the board if they choose to ignore/accept it but just ask nearer the time based on what is happening at that time, iyswim?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Mar '19
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19

Do you give blood?