Are prelims a good reflection of the final exam? Watch

lucy_robinson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I just sat my higher (A level equivalent) maths prelim today and it went really badly, there's a very slim chance I've passed at best (:

I got an A at N5 (GCSE equivalent) but I've been really struggling with higher... I can retake it next year but I really don't want to, I hate the subject and the teacher aha

I'd be really happy with a B in the final, for the prelim I'm guessing 40-55% though, how common would you say it is for a jump in grades like that?

Thanks in advance x
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lucy_robinson)
I just sat my higher (A level equivalent) maths prelim today and it went really badly, there's a very slim chance I've passed at best (:

I got an A at N5 (GCSE equivalent) but I've been really struggling with higher... I can retake it next year but I really don't want to, I hate the subject and the teacher aha

I'd be really happy with a B in the final, for the prelim I'm guessing 40-55% though, how common would you say it is for a jump in grades like that?

Thanks in advance x
Hey,
I've just moved this across to Scottish qualifications where hopefully people will have better experience with this and can answer you

Posted from TSR Mobile
lucy_robinson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Hey,
I've just moved this across to Scottish qualifications where hopefully people will have better experience with this and can answer you

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks x
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Long story short it is very dependent on your school and the prelim they gave you
At my school they made the prelims harder than the final exam so people almost always did better. Plus people improve anyway (regardless of the prelim difficulty). Ask your teachers how comparable it is to the final exam- if it is similar in difficulty then there is still time to improve
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Thanks in advance x
It is common to improve after the prelim, but it's difficult to predict by how much you might, as it's really dependant on the person, and the prelim, as Azure has said...Use the prelim to find out which areas you're doing well in and which topics you're struggling with, and then focus your revision accordingly. Do as many questions as you can, and keep at the front of your mind that you don't want another year of it if you're struggling for motivation! There's also lots of helpful people here on TSR of you're ever stuck, either in the Higher Maths thread, or the people in the Maths Forum are some of the most helpful people on TSR
username3881192
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
there was some research done into this like 4 years ago, can't remember where but people were found to have gone up a band from their prelim with the same amount of revision done for their prelim as the final exam.
So if you got a Band 6(low C) = Band 5(high C) or if you got a Band 3(high B) = Band 2(low A).
obviously uni's don't care about this stuff it's just for the SQA to have their ratios right, bell curve ect ect
animalmagic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Thanks in advance x
I know someone that went from a low C (very nearly a D) in their maths higher prelim to an A in the real thing. They found a tutor for the last couple of months and it took a lot of work but they did it (they needed 5As at higher for their preferred university course). Good luck!
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not sure how much evidence there is for the going up a band thing mentioned above, as a prelim covering 2/3rds of the course vs an exam covering the entire thing (+ coursework, if the mentioned research was done for a range of subjects) is not really a fair comparison...Anyways, point I'm trying to get at is don't feel like you're limited to only moving up one band- people can move up several grades. Yep, they need to work hard for it, but it can and does happen.
cmary02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
on the whole, yes you probably will move up, and I think your goal is achievable and realistic.

I’ve always been told that people go up, on average, by around 10% or one grade band. However this isn’t a rule and, with revision and hard work you could make it up much higher. Also, if you neglected it then there’s every chance you could go down, so don’t get comfortable!

There’s also the chance the prelim is a more difficult paper than your exam will be, either by pure chance or on purpose as many schools deliberately make their prelims trickier.

You also need to remember that you only know a portion of the information at the moment, and won’t have been as well practiced as you will be come exam time. In May you’ll also have enjoyed the benefit of study leave and more time to revise beforehand as well.

In short, prelims tend to be a little worse than the final exam, and most people do go up, but you shouldn’t let that knowledge lure you into a sense of security. You won’t go up a grade unless you keep on, and maybe even improve and increase your studying and revision. Good luck!
Yoshi12345
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For my Highers last year, I went up between 10-15% per subject with hard work - 6-8 hours a day within a few weeks of the exams. I ended up with 5As and a B.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3881192
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I definitely agree that you’re revision should be either maintained or increased but- don’t start to stress about that now. Exams are still a fair few months away so I were you I would keep relaxed with regular revision (maybe 3/4 hours per weekend) and then in a month or so start to revise much more regularly.

Partly because you haven’t learnt enough of the course yet to actually revise effectively and do full past papers but also for your mental health.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (81)
59.12%
No (56)
40.88%

Watched Threads