Applying to a Masters I'm not technically qualified for Watch

tabbycat6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey, I want to apply for a masters course but I don't exactly meet the requirements. My undergraduate grade exceeds the requirements but the subject area does not. They list maths, computer science and engineering as the compulsory subjects but I don't have any of these, rather my degree is in international relations and law. I have one relevant work experience in a related field. I'm wondering if you guys think it is worth applying. I've been trying to contact the university for the past 3 weeks but it's like talking to a brick wall because they don't seem to answer me, or the one time they did, they gave an unclear answer. It costs £75 to apply to this university and there are other universities that offer my course for my requirements, but I live near this university and it's a really good uni, so I feel tempted to give it a shot. I'm also a broke uni student so I don't want to pay £75 to get rejected under the notion that I did not take the subject requirements seriously. What do you guys think?
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would I be right in assuming this masters course involves a good amount of university level maths and/or computer science? Can you demonstrate in your application that you are similarity skilled?

If not, you may not get an offer unless the masters is really undersubscribed.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tabbycat6)
They list maths, computer science and engineering as the compulsory subjects but I don't have any of these, rather my degree is in international relations and law.
What's your degree, and what degree and uni are you looking at? Based on your post, it sounds like applying would be a waste of £75.

They list compulsory subjects as they give someone the academic knowledge and skills to be able to use during the masters course. If you don't have the knowledge, you won't succeed on the masters. Can you show them that you've got the knowledge they're looking for? I suspect that 'one work experience in a related field' won't be sufficient.
kurllly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are they hosting an open day soon? See if you can attend one and find someone to chat to, or try contacting the course leader directly and enquire about applying (they may have their contact details on the course page on the university website). Keep at it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (37)
11.31%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.67%
No, but I want to start (116)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (73)
22.32%
No, I chose not to (89)
27.22%