• TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-46950952

Read this this morning.

Interesting food for thought.

Do you think Cambridge (and Oxford I guess) doing enough to ensure that minority ethnic (esp. those with black heritage) students feel welcome there?
Last edited by Puddles the Monkey; 4 weeks ago
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
She asking the wrong question. It should be "Am i good enough?" If your commited to learning then you would go. Simple enough really.
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guru Jason)
She asking the wrong question. It should be "Am i good enough?" If your commited to learning then you would go. Simple enough really.
She obviously is good enough as she has an offer.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
She obviously is good enough as she has an offer.
Then she should go.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. Cambridge's intake is under-representative of the white population (at least by the last census)... so the idea that its too white, or overwhelmingly white is simply wrong.

2. she seems quite racist. A whole lot of presumptions and judgements going on about people just based on their skin color.. she likes to pick out white people a lot. Those 4 white academics.. her white friend who didn't understand her hair..those white posh kids who go there..

so... all in all I don't find it very insightful.

The simple idea that a university that is more diverse then the country as a whole.. is 'not diverse enough' - is wrong. Secondly, presuming that she will face problems and be accepted in among the white students is very judgemental, and a bit racist.

And considering that Cambridge, on the graphs provided.. actually ends up more diverse then bristol.. why is the article not 'is bristol the right place for me?' its also full of plenty of posh kids she can judge... or lets have an article titled ' I'm white, is university right for me?' considering that white kids are underrepresented in university as a whole.
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anyone that considers choosing Birmingham when they have a place at Cambridge needs their head testing
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anoushka needs to overcome her fears.... she needs a fear therapist i think

*[her mum] Mutanda was the phobia expert on ITV's Feel the Fear , where she supported the shows two presenters:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feel_the_Fear

:holmes:

*from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anjula_Mutanda
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Clearly not if asking the question
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wondering if I should go to London there seems to be a lot of black and asian people there I just dont think I will be able to fit in, I will have to find all the white people clubs because obviously being around black/asian people is a negative. If you think this is racist but her points are not you are mad. This is just another stupid race baiting article that probably should be named "SHOCK HORROR BRITAIN A MAJORITY WHITE COUNTRY HAS A LOT OF WHITE PEOPLE !!!!!!!"
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
2. she seems quite racist. A whole lot of presumptions and judgements going on about people just based on their skin color.. she likes to pick out white people a lot. Those 4 white academics.. her white friend who didn't understand her hair..those white posh kids who go there..
I don't think she is being racist here at all - these are her experiences and they are valid.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iElvendork)
Anyone that considers choosing Birmingham when they have a place at Cambridge needs their head testing
Actually, I disagree - I think they have their head screwed on quite tight - they are looking through the hype and hyperbole about Oxbridge and consdiering the overwhelmingly important factor - is Cambridge right for me? People get too swept up in it all - schools/parents put pressure on people to apply/go but if there is somewhere else that is better for the individual then that is the right place for them.
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-46950952

Read this this morning.

Interesting food for thought.
She's looking for attention. She sure as hell got it, cos only the BBC and guardian are willing to run this sort of stupid race narrative.

Ok. firstly, her constant fretting about "there's nobody like me here!!" is understandable, too dramatic if you ask me but being a black student i can comprehend. I went for an interview in Lancaster and wrote it completely off because they simply aren't enough black people there. (Like for real, there's only two and you're half of them)

Second,
Her tirade about the interviewers being 4 white male academics, what on earth does that have to do with anything? If that is your foremost concern then to be perfectly frank, go someone else or i'll bet you she'll be writing some piece in 2 years about "how the amount of white people in Cambridge made me dropout"

So, i hope she doesn't go to Cambridge and goes to Birmingham or whatever, she's stated her priorities in regards to choosing higher education and err... its best for her if she goes along with it.

Talk about being spoilt for choice....urgh
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wonder how much she got paid for this non-story.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think she is being racist here at all - these are her experiences and they are valid.
split it into sections:

A, my experiences with black people have been negative...

B, I am about to go to a university with a large black community

C, And I not sure if its right for me because most of the people there will be black, and I will be surrounded by black people. I may not fit in? They may not accept me because I am white. When I interviewed there, 4 black professors were there.. and all the students were dressed in black-ethnic garments, which made me stand out? Will I fit in? Will I find a group that likes me? After all, most of them will be black...

---

A = my experiences.. they are valid. No one can dispute my experiences, just like no one can dispute the experiences of the writer in your article

B = the situation she is in, also not disputable

C = this is the bit you can dispute. And you most definitely can question.. because this is when she takes here experiences and ideas, and uses them to form an argument and in this case a prediction.

---

So your wrong when you say you cant question what she says.. you can, and you should. Not all of it - not her past, or her present.. but you can certainly question how she takes those and forms them into her perspective and her arguments.

---

Why is she a bit racist?
Because
A, she singles out white people because of their race.. "4 white professors" is as bad as an old lady saying 'I went to the shops today and in front of me there were 4 black women....' and then going on to saying nothing that relates to their race. People do that when they perceive differences, that they want to be inferred just by mentioning their race. Its a calling-card of someone who groups and generalizes people in to races.

B, The only reason she feels like she may not be suited to X place, is because people there are X skin color. She gave no other reason - just because of their skin color she has made judgements about them and how they think/will act around her. That's racism.

Its as bad as a white person crossing the street to avoid a group of black people, out of fear that they will be mugged. Its using stereotypes and generalizations to make assumptions about a group of people based on their skin color..

She hasn't met any of her class at Cambridge yet.. or could list any problems that white Cambridge students have caused her.. yet just because of the color of their skin, she has judged them, and is now considering avoiding them.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 4 weeks ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
I wonder how much she got paid for this non-story.
considering its the BBC - I doubt anything.

But that's not the point.. for young people like her, money is not the goal - the goal is to raise her profile, get her name out there.. get her associated with the progressive agenda. Its all self-serving even if not financial.
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

But that's not the point.. for young people like her, money is not the goal - the goal is to raise her profile, get her name out there.. get her associated with the progressive agenda. Its all self-serving even if not financial.
That would make sense wouldn't it? Her mom is one of those "celebrity psychologists", and in her promoting tweet, proceeded to tag several talent promoting agencies. So i can definitely see that being the very purpose

Then i bet she does well in her A-levels and then goes to Cambridge (she was going all along) then proceeds to post a follow up article about how she's gonna be "strong" and ignore the overt "whiteness" of Cambridge as a BME girl and thrive.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit suprised
Last edited by Trapmoneybenny; 4 weeks ago
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I thought I had seen this in the Guardian a couple of days ago, but could be wrong.

Seems she was in a tv drama and her mum moves in 'celeb' circles. Clearly no stranger to self-promotion...
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Simbasoul)
Actually, I disagree - I think they have their head screwed on quite tight - they are looking through the hype and hyperbole about Oxbridge and consdiering the overwhelmingly important factor - is Cambridge right for me? People get too swept up in it all - schools/parents put pressure on people to apply/go but if there is somewhere else that is better for the individual then that is the right place for them.
This isnt what they are saying though is it, this would be like me deciding not to go to some top uni because there are too many black/asian people there not because I have an actual valid reason
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
This isnt what they are saying though is it, this would be like me deciding not to go to some top uni because there are too many black/asian people there not because I have an actual valid reason
Sorry, I wasn't responding to the article, just to the comment made above that: "...Anyone that considers choosing Birmingham when they have a place at Cambridge needs their head testing..."
Billy123456
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You are right. She is a racist. She says she went to the interview and ... there were four while males. And? She seems to have an issue with whites (probably the 'white males' couldn't care less about her skin color). I find her attitude very annoying and *****y. My guess is no, she shouldnt go to Cambridge. Not because she is not white, but because she is full of prejudice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.22%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.83%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.06%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.5%
No (257)
71.39%

Watched Threads