Scotland should pay for brexit Watch

Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
how would that even work? scotland wants to stay in the EU. why would they pay for brexit?
For 2000 years of missing rent, for their using land glorious England owns.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
They are welcome to come and work in England and benefit. Or they could lobby their SNPs to pay less tax. But frankly I would rather have the free prescriptions and social care.
Thought there was no space there, hence Brexit.
LucyLu223
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
For 2000 years of missing rent, for their using land glorious England owns.
Historically speaking we technically conquered you cos our James VI became your James I. Just saying...
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DJKL)
Thought there was no space there, hence Brexit.
There is loads. The idea that there isn't is just one more myth to add to people's misconceptions.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LucyLu223)
Historically speaking we technically conquered you cos our James VI became your James I. Just saying...
No, a person with English blood became the English king. And then the capital of England, and her annex, remained London.

Do they even teach you history in that Anglophonic dystopic hell hole you call Scotch land?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
They are welcome to come and work in England and benefit. Or they could lobby their SNPs to pay less tax. But frankly I would rather have the free prescriptions and social care.
Why couldn't tashkent46's suggestion sort it?
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RadiantElemental)
Well, we couldn't withdraw the devolved powers, could we? Because they were voted in by referendum and according to the Brexit lot once a referendum has occurred that issue is a done deal, even if the circumstances have changed.
The Brexit lot are also the ones who voted against establishing the Welsh government after a referendum in Wales......
Finn C
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We got ourselves into this mess, we get ourselves out of it.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, a person with English blood became the English king. And then the capital of England, and her annex, remained London.

Do they even teach you history in that Anglophonic dystopic hell hole you call Scotch land?
Actually remember you kicked out that lot and eventually ended up with Sophia's line (Hanover) to get George I. She of course was grandaughter of James VI (I) and the only reason he got the crown of England was because of Mary who was the grandaughter of Margaret Tudor, daugher of Henry VII. So frankly pretty dilute English connection down to present day.

Its okay, though, because if Scotland becomes a distinct country we will lend you the Queen for a few days every year.
LucyLu223
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

James VI was Scottish, born in Edinburgh son of Mary Stuart and Lord Darnley. The only 'English' blood he had was a mild relation to Henry VIII's sister, Margaret. The Stuart line was all Scottish and Anne (the last Stuart) signed the unification between our two countries. The Hanoverians etc. were German and are loosely related to the Stuart line, Queen Victoria then brought 'being Scottish' back in vogue and spent a considerable amount of time in Balmoral and Holyrood Palaces in Scotland. 150 (ish) years later, after having our culture flattened and forgotten after the risings in the 18th Century, we have a reestablished national identity (more so than England).

No, I don't agree that we should be independant, I think that at this period in history we should stay as one nation and be as connected as we can to others (so yeah, staying in the EU would be better). However, Scotland decided to stay with England and the UK decided to stay in the EU. No we should not have to 'pay' for what our combined states voted for overall and these petty blame games don't exactly help the case and fear mongering in the country.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tashkent46)
I think it is only fair since they do not want to help us, we can start by withdrawing the devolved powers and introducing tuition fees in line with England. Then we can have real equality, it is about time the Scots paid their way to have their say instead of freeloading off the intellectual giant that is Westminster.
You are conflating different issues.

If you want to talk about removing the devolved parliaments in Scotland and Wales then I am all for that, they should never have been setup in the first place.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LucyLu223)
James VI was Scottish, born in Edinburgh son of Mary Stuart and Lord Darnley. The only 'English' blood he had was a mild relation to Henry VIII's sister, Margaret.
"Mild relation"? She was his great-grandmother (twice over, in fact, because she was also Darnley's grandmother as well as Mary's). It's not like he was some far-distant cousin several times removed.
LucyLu223
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
"Mild relation"? She was his great-grandmother (twice over, in fact, because she was also Darnley's grandmother as well as Mary's). It's not like he was some far-distant cousin several times removed.
Yes I know. But I was trying to explain that this ‘English blood’ was far more tenuous than he said.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tashkent46)
I think it is only fair since they do not want to help us, we can start by withdrawing the devolved powers and introducing tuition fees in line with England. Then we can have real equality, it is about time the Scots paid their way to have their say instead of freeloading off the intellectual giant that is Westminster.
Well done on one of the most stupid threads of the week, yet again.
tashkent46
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Well done on one of the most stupid threads of the week, yet again.
I just lol when people take these threads seriously. It's worth two minutes of my time to post this gibberish and then laugh later haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.65%
No (161)
40.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed