Should I let distance affect my university choice? Watch

011i3_C4irn5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm a Year 12 thinking of studying Eng Lang, Linguistics or History at University and Lancaster Uni seems like a good choice for any of those. However, I live 150 miles away from Lancaster and am wondering if I should take distance from my family into account
KimNoel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no, u have to find the university which is siutable for u
Routeri
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Distance is an important factor to consider and can affect your ability to cope at university without your family being able to support yoy easily but if you're really want to go there then distance shouldn't stop you.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, ignore above. You will adapt to the distance. Remember, there are people who fly across the world to come to UK unis and survive the "ordeal" with relative ease. Don't make 150 miles into something it is not.
011i3_C4irn5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Routeri)
Distance is an important factor to consider and can affect your ability to cope at university without your family being able to support yoy easily but if you're really want to go there then distance shouldn't stop you.
Thank you for the advice
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hmm, just got an offer from Lancaster, two years running. But it is far to travel, it is a problem.
gingerbread10000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
No, ignore above. You will adapt to the distance. Remember, there are people who fly across the world to come to UK unis and survive the "ordeal" with relative ease. Don't make 150 miles into something it is not.
Absolutely, you can skype, facetime etc. I am looking to study at Lancaster this September, and I am 220 miles away haha. Of course distance is relative, however it is so easy to get back in touch with family through the internet, and they have a policy that you an have one visitor for up to 3 nights in any 7 day period in your accomm room, so someone could always come and visit you now and then

If the course is right for you, and the place feels like somewhere you would like to study, there is no reason why the distance should change your decision really. Good luck!
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you have to take a train to get back home, distance becomes less important. You may only save, say, 1 hour either way by going to the other university instead of Lancaster.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 011i3_C4irn5)
I'm a Year 12 thinking of studying Eng Lang, Linguistics or History at University and Lancaster Uni seems like a good choice for any of those. However, I live 150 miles away from Lancaster and am wondering if I should take distance from my family into account
How long would it take you to get there by train? Lancaster is on the West Coast Main Line so it can be quite easy to get there/come home with public transport.
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi 011i3_C4irn5,
My name's Charlotte and I'm a second year student at Lancaster - but also I'm from London which is apparenttly 255 miles from Lancaster!
I'm not sure exactly where you're from but I'd recommend figuring out how long the travel will be for you. For example, for me it takes about 4 hours door to door (the uni isn't far from the train station) which isn't too bad really. Trains to and from the north/south are quite frequent as it's on a main trainline. I also know people who are from even further south (and of course international). I still made it home twice a term last year and now I even get my luggage shipped up to by house so I don't have to carry it on the train.
I'd recommend coming to visit Lancaster if you can to get a feel for it and obviously it may not be right for you which is fine, but you'll be so busy in your first few weeks settling in, I'm sure it won't feel like a big difference and our college system means hopefully you'll feel at home in our community straight away.
If you have any questions let me know!
Charlotte
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.12%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.74%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.03%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.48%
No (260)
71.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise