How to get passionate about my uni course? Watch

thunderstormfire
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am currently studying French and beginners Russian at uni. I love French and I am good at it, so I always knew that's what I wanted to study. However, I also wanted to pick up a new language and widen my opportunities career wise so I opted for Russian. I knew Russian would be difficult and intense but some days I find myself just so unmotivated to work hard at it, which I hate. I think it's because I know how long it's taken me to get to this level in French, it really disheartens me for Russian (an even harder language).

It seems like being fluent is so far away and it is quite frustrating. Has anybody else had a similar experience? What are some ways I can become more passionate about this subject and motivate myself to be better?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by thunderstormfire)
I am currently studying French and beginners Russian at uni. I love French and I am good at it, so I always knew that's what I wanted to study. However, I also wanted to pick up a new language and widen my opportunities career wise so I opted for Russian. I knew Russian would be difficult and intense but some days I find myself just so unmotivated to work hard at it, which I hate. I think it's because I know how long it's taken me to get to this level in French, it really disheartens me for Russian (an even harder language).

It seems like being fluent is so far away and it is quite frustrating. Has anybody else had a similar experience? What are some ways I can become more passionate about this subject and motivate myself to be better?
Sometimes learning more about the country and its culture can inspire you to learn the language. Have you tried Russian food, film, music or art? What made you opt for Russian in the first place? If there are related societies to Russia or languages, you could join these as it will help you learn more and they can provide support if you are having difficulties with the subject.
rlewa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't think about fluency yet. If you set small goals (eg I want to read a kids book, I want to understand this song, I want to learn this case) and then move up and progress then you feel more motivated because the goals are achievable. Think about why you like Russian and maybe try and make some Russian friends (pen pal?) to get you more connected with the real life use of the language and the people.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.72%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.51%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.19%
No, I chose not to (176)
28.95%