Google hit with £44m GDPR fine over ads Watch

BlinkyBill
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Google has been fined 50 million euros (£44m) by the French data regulator CNIL, for a breach of the EU's data protection rules.

CNIL said it had levied the record fine for "lack of transparency, inadequate information and lack of valid consent regarding ads personalisation". T

he regulator said it judged that people were "not sufficiently informed" about how Google collected data to personalise advertising. (BBC News)
Decahedron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A drop in the ocean for a company of that size.

I do love GDPR though, with enough effort you can use it cripple companies for days.
boom88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Last year Google made $12.66 bn in profits (and it should be about $20bn this year) -- 35 million a day. So they will have to pay a day and half of profit.
BlinkyBill
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
A drop in the ocean for a company of that size.

I do love GDPR though, with enough effort you can use it cripple companies for days.
(Original post by boom88)
Last year Google made $12.66 bn in profits (and it should be about $20bn this year) -- 35 million a day. So they will have to pay a day and half of profit.
From what I've heard though, that's actually one of the weird things. According to how GDPR fines are set out, some people have said Google haven't been fined enough. :hmmmm2:
Decahedron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
From what I've heard though, that's actually one of the weird things. According to how GDPR fines are set out, some people have said Google haven't been fined enough. :hmmmm2:
I would imagine that they are sending a warning to other companies that they are serious about GDPR.

There are a lot of companies that unknowingly don't comply with GDPR.
BenChen10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They got the coins, £44 million is like pennies to Google
MQE99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is even less than a slap on the wrist..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads