People should have to earn the right of having children Watch

Chioru'
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This idea is not a response to concerns of overpopulation. I simply think that a lot of people bring children into this world in very unfavourable conditions which leads to increased crime, violence, substance abuse, you name it.

Opinions?

Edit: because there's been a lot of feedback about the impracticality of the idea i'd like you to respond to the question with the assumption that it can be done. This is a purely theoretical matter and i do not want practicality to be a factor in deciding for an answer
Edit2: if, for whatever reason, you are unable or unwilling to engage in a hypothetical conversation then don't bother replying as this is the whole point of the discussion
Last edited by Chioru'; 3 weeks ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How?

And what would you do to 'unapproved' children?
MQE99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How is this "right" earned?
Minxel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’d more wish there was a way to weed out the people who have kids just to abuse them. Then there would be no more abused children and they could grow up without that kind of violence and danger.
If only
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Chioru'
Rep:
?
The matter at hand is not how you would enforce such a rule. This is purely theoretical as in, would you agree or not and why so?
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This will be interesting.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chioru')
The matter at hand is not how you would enforce such a rule. This is purely theoretical as in, would you agree or not and why so?
That is the matter at hand, whether or not you agree with a rule like that comes down to how that rule is enforced - especially given the very easy ways for it to be circumvented.
Chioru'
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
That is the matter at hand, whether or not you agree with a rule like that comes down to how that rule is enforced - especially given the very easy ways for it to be circumvented.
China managed to enforce a similar rule if you're that focused on the "how"
boom88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well, it would be great to prevent Africans, south Asians, and the poor from making so many babies, but people don't have a fertility switch that you can activate like that.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
China managed to enforce a similar rule if you're that focused on the "how"
So you're advocating state euthanasia for all city or town based couples?

Like China, would you allow rural families to have more than 1?
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can't say I disagree with the general notion of selective breeding among people. There are a lot of unfavourable conditions, ranging from kids that'll only ever know poverty to those who have kids just to claim benefits.

But it's such a ridiculously impractical idea that it's just not worth discussing.
Chioru'
Rep:
?
But generally when you want to do something you first think if it's worth doing it and then how would you do it. Take it as this was at the point of "is it worth doing", simply assuming that it can be done.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if we lived in such a world you wouldn't exist, op
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But generally when you want to do something you first think if it's worth doing it and then how would you do it. Take it as this was at the point of "is it worth doing", simply assuming that it can be done.
Why deal with pointless hypotheticals?

The world has enough problems, wasting time on solutions that can't happen is idiotic.
Chioru'
Rep:
?
Why deal with pointless hypotheticals?

The world has enough problems, wasting time on solutions that can't happen is idiotic.
I'm not here to solve the world's problems and, by replying to this question with this answer, neither are you. Also, many things that were thought to be impossible turned out to be quite the opposite. You never know where the world is heading.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not here to solve the world's problems and, by replying to this question with this answer, neither are you. Also, many things that were thought to be impossible turned out to be quite the opposite. You never know where the world is heading.
You still haven't answered how they would earn the right, regardless of what happens if they don't.
Moments
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You still haven't answered how they would earn the right, regardless of what happens if they don't.
Immigration points system like Canada or Australia; based on education, income, language proficiency, work experience, criminal record etc. Children cost points, 200 for one child, 600 for two, and exponentially increasing to reflect the added pressure of more.

But ... totally unenforcable without infringing on the rights and freedoms that make up most western societies, so moot lol.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Acsel)
I can't say I disagree with the general notion of selective breeding among people. There are a lot of unfavourable conditions, ranging from kids that'll only ever know poverty to those who have kids just to claim benefits.

But it's such a ridiculously impractical idea that it's just not worth discussing.
‘Selective breeding’. So, who would you select to breed? As if I didn’t know the answer.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Seamus123)
‘Selective breeding’. So, who would you select to breed? As if I didn’t know the answer.
Those with desirable characteristics. Or more importantly, I'd avoid those with characteristics and circumstances that are not desirable. For example, not allowing those in extreme poverty to breed if they're not able to take care of the children.

It's clearly highly unethical, but the process works fine for animals and could also be applied to people were it not so impractical. But there are clearly better ways to improve the human race, such as by eliminating unfavourable circumstances to begin with.
looloo2134
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Those with desirable characteristics. Or more importantly, I'd avoid those with characteristics and circumstances that are not desirable. For example, not allowing those in extreme poverty to breed if they're not able to take care of the children.

It's clearly highly unethical, but the process works fine for animals and could also be applied to people were it not so impractical. But there are clearly better ways to improve the human race, such as by eliminating unfavourable circumstances to begin with.
So you believe eugenist than
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%
No, but I want to start (269)
37.47%
No, I am unable to (172)
23.96%
No, I chose not to (199)
27.72%