Unsuccessful PGCE interview with SCITT Watch

TRS much?
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I applied to 3 PGCE course via UCAS. They were all affiliated with SCITT.

I was recently interviewed at my first choice. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful. However, as soon as I was told this, my other two choices both declined my application giving the same reason:

"Thank for attending the recent story sharing and selection process. All paperwork has now been processed and I regret to inform you that I am unable to offer you a place on the Suffolk & Norfolk Primary SCITT Tuition Programme for September 2019."

I have since applied to another SCITT-affiliated course via "Apply 2". They declined my application the same day giving the same reason (quoted above).

It seems I now have to apply to courses that are not SCITT-affiliated. But this only leaves me with one course left on UCAS. What are my best options going forward? Thanks for reading this
ATinyRevolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TRS much?)
I applied to 3 PGCE course via UCAS. They were all affiliated with SCITT.

I was recently interviewed at my first choice. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful. However, as soon as I was told this, my other two choices both declined my application giving the same reason:

"Thank for attending the recent story sharing and selection process. All paperwork has now been processed and I regret to inform you that I am unable to offer you a place on the Suffolk & Norfolk Primary SCITT Tuition Programme for September 2019."

I have since applied to another SCITT-affiliated course via "Apply 2". They declined my application the same day giving the same reason (quoted above).

It seems I now have to apply to courses that are not SCITT-affiliated. But this only leaves me with one course left on UCAS. What are my best options going forward? Thanks for reading this
Just to clarify - you applied to three (now four?) schools, all affliliated with the same specific SCITT Provider (The Suffolk and Norfolk SCITT)? I guess it makes sense that the others would turn you down, as you'd essentially be going to the same place regardless of which of the three you technically accepted, but obviously not good for your circumstances.

There's UEA in the area, and, depending on how far you're willing to travel, maybe Cambridge Uni and Hertfordshire Uni? A schools-led/SCITT route might be your preference, but ultimately all courses are more similar than different. You'll always have at least 120 days in schools; you'll always get QTS; your amount of teaching hours will always gradually increase; a year later, you'll always be (in a position to be) an NQT. Whether you're in school on day one of the course might be different, and the uni-led ones will definitely entail a PGCE and therefore Masters-level assignments, but after the training year you'll be in the same position.

Essentially - if there aren't any other SCITT or School Direct options open to you, I think it's worth applying to a university. I applied to UEA for a Primary PGCE (was accepted, but ultimately chose to go to Cambridge), and they were friendly and supportive, and I would've happily taken up a place there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads