Any ideas for a dissertation subject focussing more on practical research? Watch

surplus98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Of course I will still need to do a lot of reading regardless of which topic I choose. However, I know I will do a lot better if I find a topic that will require me to particularly prioritise actually going out and find my own research. For example, conducting different interviews, going to a prison or youth detention centre, creating an experiment etc.

Any ideas?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You're looking for the criminology or sociology forum mate. We don't do none of them practical 'ings 'ere.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aye, as above. Open questioning of youth offenders could only really about their experience of the criminal justice system, which is a criminological concern. Nowt to do with law.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Edit:

I have read a paper where academics interviewed a bunch of hedge fund managers to see what their response to MiFID II (or however it's capitalised) was. But this was only a supplementary survey that aimed to prove a wider point (that these people are often worried and are ill-advised by counsel when these new regulation thingies are brought into action). It wasn't the main point of the paper.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Edit:

I have read a paper where academics interviewed a bunch of hedge fund managers to see what their response to MiFID II (or however it's capitalised) was. But this was only a supplementary survey that aimed to prove a wider point (that these people are often worried and are ill-advised by counsel when these new regulation thingies are brought into action). It wasn't the main point of the paper.
Socio-legal is common, where data and surveys are used to supplement a point. But I don't see how what OP is doing really meets that.

Socio-legal tends to require some data analysis training, which is why MRes and PhDs often get such training -- and real academics conduct data analysis in their articles. Bachelor's law students are a bit too inexperienced for sociological work in general.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thread moved accordingly to Social and Political Sciences.
NetworkProblem
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by surplus98)
Of course I will still need to do a lot of reading regardless of which topic I choose. However, I know I will do a lot better if I find a topic that will require me to particularly prioritise actually going out and find my own research. For example, conducting different interviews, going to a prison or youth detention centre, creating an experiment etc.

Any ideas?
Your post is very vague. Are you an UG or PG student?

I think the possibility of you conducting field work with an offender population is extremley unlikely. For research within Her Majestey's Prison and Probation Service you have to go through the IRAS process, which is very strict. I work within the sector and wanted access to a sample for my MSc dissertation and was told by the research committe that they would not consider approval for a study that was under PhD level. The IRAS process is so stringent that the institution I study at has now stopped accepting dissertation proposals that would require a student to have IRAS approval.

You may have better luck with Youth Offending Services though, or a sample of ex offenders who are working with charities?

Think about what interests you, or what you have enjoyed learning about. Do some reading around these topics and look for a gap in the literature. If you are interested in youth justice, perhaps you could explore racial bias? I know this is well researched in terms of the Criminal Justice System in general, but not sure what exists in terms of youths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise