City vs Aston for Law Watch

Ore.majeks
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, so I’ve been offered a place in a few universities but I’ve chosen City and Aston as my top two

I want to study law and Aston attracted me as their degree a year “work experience” but city does not however city has good links with London firms but I already live in London so don’t know if it would be better if I moved away. I’m not sure which one has a better reputation and want a good uni for employment as well as a good social/ party in scene even though this isn’t a priority

I’m not sure which one to go to 😬
Thanks!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ore.majeks)
Hi, so I’ve been offered a place in a few universities but I’ve chosen City and Aston as my top two

I want to study law and Aston attracted me as their degree a year “work experience” but city does not however city has good links with London firms but I already live in London so don’t know if it would be better if I moved away. I’m not sure which one has a better reputation and want a good uni for employment as well as a good social/ party in scene even though this isn’t a priority

Thanks!
Have you been to the open day?
Have you looked into where students go after?
Have you talked to students via their law society?
Have you looked at the course content?
Have you done a pros and cons?

I think they are much of a muchness. Ciy at least is always in clearing.

If you already live in London, then the life away from there and home should be weighed up seriously.
Ore.majeks
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Have you been to the open day?
Have you looked into where students go after?
Have you talked to students via their law society?
Have you looked at the course content?
Have you done a pros and cons?

I think they are much of a muchness. Ciy at least is always in clearing.

If you already live in London, then the life away from there and home should be weighed up seriously.
I have been to open days and liked them both so it has made the decision much harder. I like them both equally as much so do not know which one I should choose
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have been to open days and liked them both so it has made the decision much harder. I like them both equally as much so do not know which one I should choose
That is a difficult decision as they are both about the same in terms of reputation for Law, and you like them equally for different reasons.

Overall, I would probably go with Aston as it would be great if you could get some decent work experience as part of your course, and make your future application to law firms stand out. Also, as you currently live in London, going to Aston could be a chance to experience living away from home in a different city. Birmingham's not my favourite city as I personally find it ugly, but I have no doubt that you could enjoy a great social life there with loads of different clubs, etc.

I expect you have been invited to Applicant Days at both Unis? Maybe go to both as there's no hurry to make your choice. At Aston, ask how much help is given with finding the placement, and what percentage of students from the Law course end up doing one, and where? Also, ask to look around some first year accomodation at both places, and see which seems the most likely to offer you the student experience you are looking for.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
I dont think that moves you any further forward and you need to make a decision.
They are different, even if they both have pros and cons. Sometimes you have to make a choice and that might mean further research rather than someone telling you what best suits you. London or not London is a big enough difference by itself.
Aston University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Thanks!
Hi,

Congratulations on your offer, great to hear we are in your top two.

Did you have any specific questions about Aston, rather than throwing the generic sales pitch at you?

Josh
Ore.majeks
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aston University)
Hi,

Congratulations on your offer, great to hear we are in your top two.

Did you have any specific questions about Aston, rather than throwing the generic sales pitch at you?

Josh
I wanted to know how good your events are for law e.g. how many golden circle firms come in and give talks or how many top lawyers come to events over at Aston
Aston University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

Our law school offers a number of events throughout the year, our law school is relitively young but already has established relationships with a number of Law Firms such as Squire Patton Boggs, DAC Beachcroft, Pinsent Masons and top UK law firm Mills & Reeve.

We also have a number of high profile speakers give talks, the most recent being Lord Neuberger. This is twinned with a number of recruitment fairs. Finally Aston Law society have a number of events throughout the year and invite speakers onto campus independently from the university.

Hope that helps.

Josh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads