The Student Room Group

Rejected from joining Army because of GP report

My son has ADHD and applied to join the army. Everything was going great until they got his GP notes and they have rejected him because of 'well documented ADHD, bouts of depression, drug and alcohol misuse
All of this was prior to age 17 (3.5 yrs ago) and he is a different person now, in control, not prone to being misled by others etc etc.
How can we appeal and what evidence will they require?
Please can someone help!
Reply 1
As an ex member of the Armed Forces, I can tell you that the Army is not the right place for anyone who has displayed these tendancies, historically or otherwise. Unfortunately you won't be able to appeal this decision, it's made in the best interests of the individual as well as any prospective colleagues.
Reply 2
Thank you Coppen93
Is it not worth even paying for a mental health assessment or a letter from the GP explaining the circumstances (teenage depression not linked to his ADHD)
He does not take medication has not done so for 6 years
Reply 3
Original post by JamC1998
Thank you Coppen93
Is it not worth even paying for a mental health assessment or a letter from the GP explaining the circumstances (teenage depression not linked to his ADHD)
He does not take medication has not done so for 6 years

As far as I’m aware, decisions made by a medical professional are final so it would make a difference I’m afraid. I’m really pleased to hear that your son has turned it round, but the military puts you under extreme mental and physical pressure that can be really difficult to deal with, even for those who may have never dealt with any mental health issues previously. I know it might be disappointing to hear, but I can only speak from experience.
Reply 4
My son has ADHD and applied to join the army. Everything was going great until they got his GP notes and they have rejected him because of 'well documented ADHD, bouts of depression, drug and alcohol misuse
All of this was prior to age 17 (3.5 yrs ago) and he is a different person now, in control, not prone to being misled by others etc etc.
Please can someone help!

Yes, you can appeal and the information should be in the rejection letter. However (speaking as a former RAF recruiter and not a medical expert) it's difficult to know what evidence you can present other than what you mentioned, ie teenage depression, the reasons for it, time without symptoms and medication, though any ongoing checkups would be problematic.

People can be accepted into the Armed Forces with the conditions you've listed, but it can require a period of 3-4 years free of symptoms and treatment. However, it depends on the severity of the condition. It could be that it's the degree of your son's conditions and the fact that it's a combination of behavioural issues and alcohol/substance misuse for which he was rejected.

I'll echo Coppen's sentiments that the Armed Forces is a difficult environment for anyone. Even the training regime can be a struggle, let alone the job. If you do appeal, be prepared for another rejection.
Please can someone help!

Drugs? alcohol?
What were you doing as parents.... how old are you... No i'm not putting all the boys problems on you... or him, it's equal parties to blame.

With what you've said, I'd highly doubt they'd ever let him in... the army is not a place for such people, especially if they have depression, they don't know how bad it is, or what could happen to him, the army is not a care plan, they can't have someone join then cry or get depressed in a few months...

Training isn't easy either, they'd have to look at how stable he could be for training, physical health, mental health, and more!!!!

Also I should mention "I'm from a naval back ground"..
Check out this, p111. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/457671/response/1101664/attach/3/20171215 JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6 7 7 V1.2 Dec 17.pdf
Reply 7
Original post by sophcxddi3
Check out this, p111. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/457671/response/1101664/attach/3/20171215 JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6 7 7 V1.2 Dec 17.pdf

Thanks for that sophcxddi3. It will take a while for me to read through it all. I guess what it all points to is rejection. We are still going to appeal but my son accepts that it will probably be negative. It's funny really that he was signed off from all medic services 4 years ago, has been to college, has not taken any medication for 5 years, and has learnt to manage his impulsive behaviour, which is what ADHD is all about really. To everyone he is a fine, intelligent man. Cheers.
Reply 8
Thanks for that sophcxddi3. It will take a while for me to read through it all. I guess what it all points to is rejection. We are still going to appeal but my son accepts that it will probably be negative. It's funny really that he was signed off from all medic services 4 years ago, has been to college, has not taken any medication for 5 years, and has learnt to manage his impulsive behaviour, which is what ADHD is all about really. To everyone he is a fine, intelligent man. Cheers.

Bear in mind that document is over a year old, so might be out of date.

And that just because anecdotal evidence suggests he manages ok in normal life, doesn't mean the Army will agree he can function normally in the extremely stressful situations be could find himself in.
Reply 9

While soph is trying to be helpful, that document is used for assessment by medical staff. Not even the recruiters in the Armed Forces Careers Offices would refer to this publication if someone contacted them on spec with a medical query.

Also, a lot of the references are to single conditions. As I've already mentioned, it could be the combination of conditions that has stopped your son's entry to the Army so you'l'll not find the situation that is precisely applicable. Your time would be better spent on the appeal using known factual information, not trying to find references in the link.
Reply 10
Thank you all for your replies. Just for reference the 'drug's' referred to was smoking marijuana a few times with his friends which we disapproved of and which is why we made him go to the GP. The 'alcohol referred to was getting very drunk with 'friend's' and getting arrested (no charges) but again we made him go to the GP. Our age and responsibility have nothing to do with it (SanityGaming), I thought it was very responsible making him see the doctor! It's the way that the GP report has been interpreted which is incorrect and until we get the copy we've asked for I can't explain any of it. He had a couple of instances of 'low mood' over specific things that were going on and was not given medication, just a chat with the mental health team who discharged him after 1 session! We are going to appeal and the GP is totally onside with us. If he still gets a rejection then so be it but let it be for real issues not these one offs!
The question you need to ask yourself and your son is when ISIS is firing RPG's at you can he handle the pressure of that situation. Also the forces are a fairly big drinking culture maybe that would not help with his alcohol abuse.
Hi, Similar situation here... I see you posted this 4 years ago. Did you appeal? If so, can I ask what the outcome was?

Latest