Fee Status Change Watch

LauraHerman99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I moved to England from South Africa in Oct 2018 however I'm an Irish citizen. If I started studying a 3 year degree in 2020 my fee status would be international for 2020 and 2021 however would my fee status change to "home" status in 2022 as I would have been living in the UK for over 3 years then? And would I be able to apply for a government loan for the last year?
Last edited by LauraHerman99; 3 weeks ago
Stuart SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LauraHerman99)
I moved to England from South Africa in Oct 2018 however I'm an Irish citizen. If I started studying a 3 year degree in 2020 my fee status would be international for 2020
Hi Laura,

You should check with prospective universities about potential fee status.

For funding, Irish nationals can apply as EU students if they have been resident in the EEA or Switzerland for 3 or more years prior to the start of their course. They will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of their course.

To apply as a home student they must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Regards,
Stuart
LauraHerman99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Stuart SFE)
Hi Laura,

You should check with prospective universities about potential fee status.

For funding, Irish nationals can apply as EU students if they have been resident in the EEA or Switzerland for 3 or more years prior to the start of their course. They will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of their course.

To apply as a home student they must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Regards,
Stuart
Hi Stuart, thanks for your reply - my question actually wasn't completed so I've edited it. Do you know if my fee status could change in the last year?
Stuart SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LauraHerman99)
Hi Stuart, thanks for your reply - my question actually wasn't completed so I've edited it. Do you know if my fee status could change in the last year?
Hi Laura,

The universities set the fee status so you should ask them. However, when looking at funding if you didn't have the required residency at the start of the course (as noted above) you wouldn't be eligible for funding in your final year.

Regards,
Stuart
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (115)
58.67%
No (81)
41.33%

Watched Threads