Travelling the world... and working? Watch

L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of travelling the world whilst working? Looking for some tips based on the idea of travelling around to different places and earning enough to get by and fund transport etc whilst not being in any committed job as you’d be moving quite often.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
enigmatic17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
omgg yess i also need to answer to this!
this is one of my biggest goals in life, to travel around the world while earning
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by L.D.S.)
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of travelling the world whilst working? Looking for some tips based on the idea of travelling around to different places and earning enough to get by and fund transport etc whilst not being in any committed job as you’d be moving quite often.
I work on cruise ships, and in the last three years I've visited over 50 countries. It's not quite the situation you've described of working in one place for a while before moving on, but if you're looking to see a good chunk of the world while earning cash then it's worth considering it.

Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fruit picking is really common in Auzzie/NZ if u come down in the summer.

The farms are located quite close to the city which is perf for when u want to take a break and explore the country. The nature of the job is also quite laid-back, decent salary, short-term, flexible and most provide you with accommodation as well. Maybe this is something you could look into? (And no this is not my poor attempt at promoting our tourism industry ).
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by enigmatic17)
omgg yess i also need to answer to this!
this is one of my biggest goals in life, to travel around the world while earning
Hopefully people will offer some advice! I’d consider saving up and then travelling but that would take a lot more time and I think it would be more of an achievement to travel and work at the same time
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply! You make a good point, however after working in a slightly different type of way on a cruise ship (carer) for two weeks I don’t think cruises are really my thing. But thanks nonetheless. I’m thinking of looking into flight attendant jobs but I doubt they’re very ‘casual’.
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
Fruit picking is really common in Auzzie/NZ if u come down in the summer.

The farms are located quite close to the city which is perf for when u want to take a break and explore the country. The nature of the job is also quite laid-back, decent salary, short-term, flexible and most provide you with accommodation as well. Maybe this is something you could look into? (And no this is not my poor attempt at promoting our tourism industry ).
That’s a good idea! Honestly sounds like the sort of job I’d be going for, and the accommodation would be a big bonus. I haven’t properly considered Australia yet tbh (as in looking at the geography and sight seeing stuff etc) but if I’m travelling the world it’s gotta be on the list
enigmatic17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hopefully people will offer some advice! I’d consider saving up and then travelling but that would take a lot more time and I think it would be more of an achievement to travel and work at the same time
yeah i thought of that too but then true it will take alot of time and patience to save and travel.
ive seen different ways i can earn and travel at the same time and most of them were like babysitting, looking after the farms, or teaching english (if ur first lanuage is english) but these arent the kinds of job that i would want to do or more like i would be allowed to do.
still looking for other better ways since this is the first thing on my bucket list (travelling to as many places in the world as possible) and i actually have a list of countries which i would like to visit first
yha_backpacker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
UK citizens can get a working holiday visa for Australia for an initial 12 months. Allows you to work up to 6 months with one employer e.g. bar work, office work etc. If you want to stay another year, you need to do 88 days of work in your first year in certain areas - usually fruit picking or regional work. Great way to combine some work and travel but you need to get the visa before you turn 31.
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by enigmatic17)
yeah i thought of that too but then true it will take alot of time and patience to save and travel.
ive seen different ways i can earn and travel at the same time and most of them were like babysitting, looking after the farms, or teaching english (if ur first lanuage is english) but these arent the kinds of job that i would want to do or more like i would be allowed to do.
still looking for other better ways since this is the first thing on my bucket list (travelling to as many places in the world as possible) and i actually have a list of countries which i would like to visit first
Yeah exactly and it would take a lot of planning to stretch your money out to last the duration of the trip whereas working and travelling you’d be able to have a bit more freedom (id take some savings too of course but just not as much as I would if I wasn’t working whilst travelling). I love travelling so I really want to do more of it, one of my goals is to backpack across Japan
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
(Original post by yha_backpacker)
UK citizens can get a working holiday visa for Australia for an initial 12 months. Allows you to work up to 6 months with one employer e.g. bar work, office work etc. If you want to stay another year, you need to do 88 days of work in your first year in certain areas - usually fruit picking or regional work. Great way to combine some work and travel but you need to get the visa before you turn 31.
That’s good to know, thank you! Not sure when I will actually start travelling yet but I’ll definitely be trying to do it before I turn 31
Dachen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
use skyscanner they find the best deals for cheapest
enigmatic17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah exactly and it would take a lot of planning to stretch your money out to last the duration of the trip whereas working and travelling you’d be able to have a bit more freedom (id take some savings too of course but just not as much as I would if I wasn’t working whilst travelling). I love travelling so I really want to do more of it, one of my goals is to backpack across Japan
wow that sounds amazing ! i love travelling too but im a bit young to go on my own and travel so waiting for the time to be allowed by my parents and till then ill be finding different ways of doing it so that im ready when its time
well, best of luck finding ur way to travel the world
Student 4545
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I worked in Australia for a year, just doing waitressing, but i was enring $25 an hour. I wokred part time and made $2000 a month so still had loads of time to see the country too!
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've seen this done well and badly.

My cousin actually somehow got a permanent job with good holiday doing HR type work in Australia, saved for like 9 months then had easily enough money for loads of work-free travelling.

But I've also seen people working at a hostel getting free accommodation, but pay was pitiful and they had run out of savings so were having to work for like 4 weeks before getting together enough for a weekend away, and they really didn't know how they were going to get back to England at the end of it. Some were also working quite long hours doing multiple jobs.

I've also heard varying things about fruit picking - both that it can be good but also that if the weather is hot it can be absolutely brutal work, especially if its pay per basket you pick. I'm also not sure if accommodation is always provided? However in some places both meals and accommodation definitely are provided and they get a great community feel. I guess it depends where and when you go.

I guess my bottom line advice is: make sure you have some money to spare and a backup plan. You don't want to be in the situation where you need the money to eat/get back home!
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I've seen this done well and badly.

My cousin actually somehow got a permanent job with good holiday doing HR type work in Australia, saved for like 9 months then had easily enough money for loads of work-free travelling.

But I've also seen people working at a hostel getting free accommodation, but pay was pitiful and they had run out of savings so were having to work for like 4 weeks before getting together enough for a weekend away, and they really didn't know how they were going to get back to England at the end of it. Some were also working quite long hours doing multiple jobs.

I've also heard varying things about fruit picking - both that it can be good but also that if the weather is hot it can be absolutely brutal work, especially if its pay per basket you pick. I'm also not sure if accommodation is always provided? However in some places both meals and accommodation definitely are provided and they get a great community feel. I guess it depends where and when you go.

I guess my bottom line advice is: make sure you have some money to spare and a backup plan. You don't want to be in the situation where you need the money to eat/get back home!
Thanks for the advice. If I did do this I’d make sure I’d have enough money for flights back home and then some so I was always ‘safe’ in that sense. I just thought it’d be nice to work at the same time a bit so I wouldn’t have to save as much and it would feel like a proper experience. Not sure if I’ll do it though, depends what happens with uni and stuff this year :dontknow:
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the advice. If I did do this I’d make sure I’d have enough money for flights back home and then some so I was always ‘safe’ in that sense. I just thought it’d be nice to work at the same time a bit so I wouldn’t have to save as much and it would feel like a proper experience.
Sounds like a great strategy. If you get a rubbish job you have the ability to just walk away, whereas if you find a great job with a good community (or even a high paying job like my cousin) then you're set!

Not sure if I’ll do it though, depends what happens with uni and stuff this year :dontknow:
Ah fair enough. Remember its pretty much always easier to travel when younger though!
L.D.S.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Sounds like a great strategy. If you get a rubbish job you have the ability to just walk away, whereas if you find a great job with a good community (or even a high paying job like my cousin) then you're set!

Ah fair enough. Remember its pretty much always easier to travel when younger though!
exactly :yep:

Yeah I'll bear that in mind, If I get into uni this year then I'll either travel a bit during my elective and then maybe try and locum for a year afterwards and travel, or I'll travel after finishing my degree or something. I'm sure an opportunity will present itself, one day
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
exactly :yep:

Yeah I'll bear that in mind, If I get into uni this year then I'll either travel a bit during my elective and then maybe try and locum for a year afterwards and travel, or I'll travel after finishing my degree or something. I'm sure an opportunity will present itself, one day
Yeah but "one day" you'll have a summer job, then an actual job, then a partner who also has a job, then maybe children...

Sooner, not "one day"!
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gofre)
I work on cruise ships, and in the last three years I've visited over 50 countries. It's not quite the situation you've described of working in one place for a while before moving on, but if you're looking to see a good chunk of the world while earning cash then it's worth considering it.
what is ur job? i heard that cruise ship staff dont leave the boat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (88)
14.52%
Yes - a food allergy (63)
10.4%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.48%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.64%
No (424)
69.97%

Watched Threads