V1446 – Sunday Trading Hours Bill 2019 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (35)
74.47%
On the contrary, No (10)
21.28%
Abstain (2)
4.26%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
V1446 – Sunday Trading Hours Bill 2019, TSR Libertarian Party
Sunday Trading Hours Act 2019

An Act to allow businesses to decide their opening hours on Sundays
[field defaultattr=]BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Repeals
(1) The Sunday Trading Act 1994 is hereby repealed.

2 Short title, Commencement, Extent
(1) This act may be cited as the Sunday Trading Hours Act 2019
(2) This act comes into force upon Royal Assent
(3) This act extends to the UK

NotesUnder the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening hours are:

Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on opening
Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - Monday to Saturday - no restrictions; Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and 6pm; Easter Sunday - closed

We believe that the limit on business hours in the modern times is archaic and distinctly anti-business. Business should be free to decide their opening hours.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/20/contents
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Aye; businesses ought to be free to choose when they open.

As this doesn't repeal the Sunday opt-out, I can support this 100%.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No because of the reasons I mentioned during debate. I want a relaxation of Sunday trading laws, but I want it done with workers interests in mind
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jarred)
No because of the reasons I mentioned during debate. I want a relaxation of Sunday trading laws, but I want it done with workers interests in mind
The Sunday opt-out remains; what exactly are these "workers interests" - for people working Mon - Sat, Sunday is the only free day for leisure-based shopping which this allows?
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This has my total support.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
The Sunday opt-out remains; what exactly are these "workers interests" - for people working Mon - Sat, Sunday is the only free day for leisure-based shopping which this allows?
The Sunday opt out is insufficient - you can’t claim it is fair to provide only the same level of protections as current when the working day is to be extended significantly. That’s 1-0 to management. If this is to be fair, then there needs to be parity with the Sunday opt out, but for extended hours too. There also need to be clearer provisions to prevent discrimination if these rights are exercised. We can’t have a situation where the very poorest workers feel pressured to lose even more hours off of their life. Because yes, time is the most valuable commodity and life is too short to spend it doing ******** work.

You also mention people working Mon-Sat. That is an unfortunate reality for some, but that in itself is excessive worker exploitation. No-one should have to work like that to be able to
make ends meet.

And finally, the usual “restaurant workers already have to do it so why not retail” is not going to cut it. Just because one segment of the working class is exploited horrendously does not mean we should lower our standards for the other half. Instead we must heighten our standards for everyone by granting workers more time off and more freedom as to how and when they take that time. Ultimately, this to me is about a far broader principle that as a society we expect people to work too much.

Other than that, I’d refer you to my posts in the previous debate.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jarred)
The Sunday opt out is insufficient - you can’t claim it is fair to provide only the same level of protections as current when the working day is to be extended significantly. That’s 1-0 to management. If this is to be fair, then there needs to be parity with the Sunday opt out, but for extended hours too. There also need to be clearer provisions to prevent discrimination if these rights are exercised. We can’t have a situation where the very poorest workers feel pressured to lose even more hours off of their life. Because yes, time is the most valuable commodity and life is too short to spend it doing ******** work.

You also mention people working Mon-Sat. That is an unfortunate reality for some, but that in itself is excessive worker exploitation. No-one should have to work like that to be able to
make ends meet.

And finally, the usual “restaurant workers already have to do it so why not retail” is not going to cut it. Just because one segment of the working class is exploited horrendously does not mean we should lower our standards for the other half. Instead we must heighten our standards for everyone by granting workers more time off and more freedom as to how and when they take that time. Ultimately, this to me is about a far broader principle that as a society we expect people to work too much.

Other than that, I’d refer you to my posts in the previous debate.
You do realise that a grand total of 0 employee rights are affected by this with the act being repealed having nothing at all to do with employment rights and rather just restrictions on business which ultimately amounts to an inconvenience for both business and member of the public?

You suggested that there should be clearer provisions to prevent discrimination but those provisions would be required regardless of passage of this bill, and in fact I believe this to simply be a half arsed attempt at finding and excuse to oppose the bill. Having worked in retail, including both Saturday and Sunday shifts, the only real difference between Mon-sat and Sunday is that on Sunday just before 4 the customers would become more irritating and after 4 there wouldn't be any.

I get the feeling though that you're just trying to be a meme given you talk so much about exploitation, as if it is some gross violation of your human rights that you don't get handed all the money you want for sitting on the sofa drinking carlsberg or whatever it is you would choose to do if not expected to be a productive member of society.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It's an aye from me, naturally.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
One No has been removed due to a double vote in seat 15 (4InchMeatSkid for TeeEff).

One Aye has been removed due to a double vote in seat 44 (Aph for Bluestar511).

One ineligible Aye has been removed from jameswhughes.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
The Ayes to the right: 35
The Noes to the left: 10
Abstentions: 2

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 95.92%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads