VA217 – Voting Procedures Amendment Watch

Poll: Should this amendment be passed into the Guidance Document?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (8)
20.51%
On the contrary, No (31)
79.49%
Abstain (0)
0%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
VA217 – Voting Procedures Amendment
Proposed by: mr T 999 (Libertarian)
Seconded by: Andrew97 MP (Conservative), Connor27 MP (Libertarian), Joep95 MP (Labour), Pugglet MP (Liberal Democrat), SoggyCabbages MP (Labour)

To amend section 7 in the Guidance Document from:

7) Voting on bills, amendments, motions, and petitions should have the following 3 options:

i) As many as are of that opinion, Aye
ii) On the contrary, No
iii) Abstain

To:

7) Voting on bills, amendments, motions, and petitions should have the following 2 options:

i) As many as are of that opinion, Aye
ii) On the contrary, No

Notes
This House notes the increase in the number of abstains this term and last term. We call for the option of abstaining to be removed to force MPs to pass a judgement. If a bill is not liked, no should be the chosen option. Similarly, if an MP truly is neutral on something, the status quo should still be chosen. A change should only be voted for, or indeed not voted against, if the MP fully agrees with the change.

There has also been a trend of MPs abstaining to avoid voting in favour of a bill they like when the quality of the bill is not great. This amendment forces those MPs to make a decision, which will hopefully be to reject the bill, as a way of encouraging the bill authors to write a bill of a higher standard.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
As stated in debate this is very crude and poorly thought out, while there are too many abstentions the maintenance of the current voting review system means that this does little but penalise those who wish to abstain for legitimate reaons, instead of considering the larger matter the proposer has decided to press on without any further considerations.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Saracen's Fez the poll should be hidden
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'd abstain for the jokes, but I don't think this should pass for similar reasons stated by JD
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
As stated in debate this is very crude and poorly thought out, while there are too many abstentions the maintenance of the current voting review system means that this does little but penalise those who wish to abstain for legitimate reaons, instead of considering the larger matter the proposer has decided to press on without any further considerations.
Hear, hear.

Hopefully this Amendment gets some to think about carefully about their default voting pattern.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
Hear, hear.

Hopefully this Amendment gets some to think about carefully about their default voting pattern.
Might I suggest that those two lines are contradictory, one states support for opposition to the amdnement while the other appears to support it.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Might I suggest that those two lines are contradictory, one states support for opposition to the amdnement while the other appears to support it.
I do not support the hard and fast removal of abstentation as an option; but in the same way as the Joke Bill Amendment last term (although it failed) got people to think about their submissions a bit more, hopefully the presence of this amendment will do the same.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
I do not support the hard and fast removal of abstentation as an option; but in the same way as the Joke Bill Amendment last term (although it failed) got people to think about their submissions a bit more, hopefully the presence of this amendment will do the same.
Did it make people think about their submissions a bit more, there's been a totally unprecedented number of joke items this term, I have the feeling there have been more joke submissions in this first voting period than there have been in any parliament before, and I'm talking about the whole parliament and not just the first review period. Further those who write joke items are those who actually pay attention, those who abstain division in division out are not, they've probably simnply abstained on this.
Mainline421
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Very tempted to abstain on this, but NO.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Although I can't stand people who abstain constantly (we all have one individual in mind), people who abstain for real reasons are being punished here.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I absolutely am not in favour of this motion.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Connor27)
Saracen's Fez the poll should be hidden
Should it? I'm pretty sure I ruled last time that there's nothing in the documents requiring that and with there being / having been ways to see the result anyway, amendment votes would no longer be hidden.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Although I can't stand people who abstain constantly (we all have one individual in mind), people who abstain for real reasons are being punished here.
I hope it's not me because if so then you should google the definition of constant.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I hope it's not me because if so then you should google the definition of constant.
Don't think I mentioned you by name? So pipe down. :hello:
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
The Ayes to the right: 8
The Noes to the left: 31
Abstentions: 0

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 79.59%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads