Made no friends at uni? Watch

ashwxo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is anyone else is the same boat? I've almost finished uni now, I'm in my final year and so excited to know that I'll be done in a few months. However, everyone always says uni days are the best of your life and you'll make the best friends. I didn't. I went to a uni very far from home and although there's a few people who I'll sit with in class and get on with, there's no one that I'd consider my best friends and I'll probably only speak to one or two people after I graduate. Is this normal or are there others in the same boat? I don't really mind as I have great friends at home etc but it just feels weird to be leaving with no real/ amazing memories with people there.
studytheblurb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
idk about uni but loads of teachers say “you will find your best friends in sixth form and these 2 years will be the best years of your entire life” but I just sit with people and talk to them but I don’t consider them to be my best friends or anything. I think it’s normal to just not fully click with people as you are there to learn not to make friends. And plus the school environment makes it hard to get to know people anyway so that doesn’t help
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ashwxo)
Is anyone else is the same boat? I've almost finished uni now, I'm in my final year and so excited to know that I'll be done in a few months. However, everyone always says uni days are the best of your life and you'll make the best friends. I didn't. I went to a uni very far from home and although there's a few people who I'll sit with in class and get on with, there's no one that I'd consider my best friends and I'll probably only speak to one or two people after I graduate. Is this normal or are there others in the same boat? I don't really mind as I have great friends at home etc but it just feels weird to be leaving with no real/ amazing memories with people there.
I left my universities with great memories and not so great memories. I made awesome friends whilst I was there, especially at my first uni (one year only). I was making friends every week and saw them or invited them around vice versa for nights out and whatever.

But out of the many I made, I only talk to one who I consider one of my closest friend. He's amazing.

My 2nd uni (3 years) I didn't make much friends as 2/3 years I was in a relationship so was often back home at every chance I could get. Despite this, at the end of the 1st year I became friends with a guy who was in the same friendship circle. I was jealous of how popular he was with them. To my surprise they all got a house together without me. That didn't upset me as I was pretty much around theirs all the time during 2nd and 3rd year (but only to see that one friend who we became very close over the years; also there was always massive drama in the house which I'm thankful I wasn't a part of). I recently went to see him two weekends ago after almost not seeing him for a year. Was lovely.

So basically, Out of my 4 years of uni, I only made 2 friends. And I wouldn't change it for the world because during that time, they were just friends of convenience (nights out, or texting to go to lectures together). Outside of these scenarios, wasn't real friends. I'd rather have 2 close friends than 20 distant ones anyway. My friendship circle is less than 8 and they're all my best friends and I'd rather have that than superficial friendships.
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
im really scared this will happen to me too. I'm rubbish at talking to people too
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (47)
61.84%
No (29)
38.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise