19+ advanced learner loan Watch

catbrand
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I've been looking into this all day and heard so many conflicting answers.

I want to do an access to midwifery course, the only way I'd be able to fund this is by applying for the 19+advanced learner loan. I then would apply to do midwifery at uni and would need to apply for a student loan / maintenance loan.

Student finance England say that you can only apply for a student loan if it is for your first higher education course, but am I correct in thinking that doesn't include access courses and equivalent level education? Or will I only be able to apply for one loan?

I'm a bit lost and I don't want to ruin my chances of going to uni by taking the advanced learner loan and then not being eligible for student finance.

TIA!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Advanced learning loans are for FE courses. They don’t affect your eligibility for HE (university) student finance.
SFE Tegan
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by catbrand)
Hi,

I've been looking into this all day and heard so many conflicting answers.

I want to do an access to midwifery course, the only way I'd be able to fund this is by applying for the 19+advanced learner loan. I then would apply to do midwifery at uni and would need to apply for a student loan / maintenance loan.

Student finance England say that you can only apply for a student loan if it is for your first higher education course, but am I correct in thinking that doesn't include access courses and equivalent level education? Or will I only be able to apply for one loan?

I'm a bit lost and I don't want to ruin my chances of going to uni by taking the advanced learner loan and then not being eligible for student finance.

TIA!
Hi Cat,

You can be receiving an Advanced Learner Loan and funding for a higher education course at the same time. This would not affect your eligibility for undergraduate or postgraduate funding. However, please note that we are separate departments and as a new student you would need to supply ID and any other eligibility evidence required again.

Warm regards, Tégan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.11%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (186)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (119)
23.06%
No, I chose not to (150)
29.07%