19+ advanced learner loan Watch

catbrand
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I've been looking into this all day and heard so many conflicting answers.

I want to do an access to midwifery course, the only way I'd be able to fund this is by applying for the 19+advanced learner loan. I then would apply to do midwifery at uni and would need to apply for a student loan / maintenance loan.

Student finance England say that you can only apply for a student loan if it is for your first higher education course, but am I correct in thinking that doesn't include access courses and equivalent level education? Or will I only be able to apply for one loan?

I'm a bit lost and I don't want to ruin my chances of going to uni by taking the advanced learner loan and then not being eligible for student finance.

TIA!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Advanced learning loans are for FE courses. They don’t affect your eligibility for HE (university) student finance.
SFE Tegan
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by catbrand)
Hi,

I've been looking into this all day and heard so many conflicting answers.

I want to do an access to midwifery course, the only way I'd be able to fund this is by applying for the 19+advanced learner loan. I then would apply to do midwifery at uni and would need to apply for a student loan / maintenance loan.

Student finance England say that you can only apply for a student loan if it is for your first higher education course, but am I correct in thinking that doesn't include access courses and equivalent level education? Or will I only be able to apply for one loan?

I'm a bit lost and I don't want to ruin my chances of going to uni by taking the advanced learner loan and then not being eligible for student finance.

TIA!
Hi Cat,

You can be receiving an Advanced Learner Loan and funding for a higher education course at the same time. This would not affect your eligibility for undergraduate or postgraduate funding. However, please note that we are separate departments and as a new student you would need to supply ID and any other eligibility evidence required again.

Warm regards, Tégan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.56%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.57%

Watched Threads