Physics help AGAIN Watch

mjakstaite
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
"The miners working in a salt mine use smooth wooden slides to move quickly from one level to another
Vertical drop = 15m
Mass = 90Kg
B) Calculate the maximum possible speed that the miner could reach at the bottom of the slide. "
I honestly have no idea on how to do tihs. I was able to do part A relatively easy and found PGE to be 13500J however we haven't been taught how to find maximum speed.
HELP i beg
old_teach
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Equate the GPE to KE (1/2 m v^2)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
mgh=1/2mv^2
13500=1/2*90*v^2
v^2=13500/45=300
v=17.3 (3.s.f)
Please thank me later
Last edited by 8013; 3 weeks ago
JaredzzC
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Conservation of energy. The energy you worked out for your Gravitational Potential has been converted to Kinetic energy.

At the bottom of the slide your potential energy is 0 because it has all been convereted to kinetic energy, so you equate Gravitational Potential to Kinetic Energy.

mgh = \frac{1}{2} mv^2

You already worked out gravitational potential to be 13500J therefore your equation becomes  13500 = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 and you can rearrange for v.

Remember, energy can never be created or destroyed so it is converted into another form of energy.
Last edited by JaredzzC; 3 weeks ago
JaredzzC
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 8013)
mgh=1/2mv^2
13500=1/2*90*v^2
v^2=13500/45=300
v=17.3 (3.s.f)
Please thank me later
Appreciate you helping the OP but posting full solutions are against the forum guidelines.
mjakstaite
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JaredzzC)Conservation of energy. The energy you worked out for your Gravitational Potential has been converted to Kinetic energy.

At the bottom of the slide your potential energy is 0 because it has all been convereted to kinetic energy, so you equate Gravitational Potential to Kinetic Energy.

mgh = \frac{1}{2} mv^2

You already worked out gravitational potential to be 13500J therefore your equation becomes  13500 = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 and you can rearrange for v.

Remember, energy can never be created or destroyed so it is converted into another form of energy.

Thanks i couldn't for the life of me find the formula. It was too late for physics homework clearly :')
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (115)
58.67%
No (81)
41.33%

Watched Threads